You've got to buy a Harley - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You've got to buy a Harley

I bought my only Harley back in the mid 70s, and loved it. It was the first one in Northern Australia apart from a Duo Glide owned by a friend. My Harley wasn't a real Harley, it was made by AMF when they took over. It was a 74ci Electroglide with the square profile tyres and a back brake that didn't work very well. I loved it but ended up putting it into the side of a car at about 60mph, couldn't stop it in time and couldn't lean it, oh well.

My next ride was the first Goldwing, the 1000cc 4 cylinder, a great ride.

Chris

NM002.jpgAttachment 14904Attachment 14905

I put a couple of hundred miles on my F6B the other day going nowhere in particular and just enjoying the great weather. I had a call last night from a friend who wanted to take a breakfast run today so this morning I rolled out my Harley FLSTNI and off we went. After about thirty miles I realized, almost subconsciously, that the FL runs smoother in every way compared to the F6B. These new generation balanced Harley engines are smooth. The Harley makes all the usual HD engine sounds but sans the old school vibration. The engine in the FLSTNI is rigidly mounted in the frame so any engine vibration would be transmitted to the rider. My Harley has been absolutely reliable as has my F6B. As stated earlier it is much easier to perform routine maintenance on the Harley. As an example air filter replacement is less than five minutes for the Harley and hours for the F6B. I have nine bikes they all have their pros and cons. I have go to bikes depending on what type of ride I'm doing. I want to see more people riding and enjoying the sport and don't care what they ride, just ride. Image is a farce, it's all about the personal experience. Ride your own ride.

These days I measure how easy routine maintenance is by how close the dealer is to me and if they have a big screen in the waiting area. Now this is smoooooooooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkbggSSYL2Y

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Don't get me wrong people as I am not a Harley rider or fan, but you can bad mouth there products and riders all you want as it is your choice......But, HD is the best selling brand in America for V-twin bikes and has the best dealer net-work around, (out-sells Honda 12-1) and their marketing scheme is, "bar-none", one of the best in the world!!!...Brings in $Billions of dollars every year.....Just sayin!!!

McDonalds is the best selling brand in America for fast food and has the best franchise net-work around, (out-sells every other burger place on the planet) and their marketing scheme is, "bar-none", one of the best in the world!!!...Brings in $Billions of dollars every year.....Just sayin!!

That doesn't make their burgers the best. Or even close to it.

MARKETING...

Quote Originally Posted by gray rider View Post
    I put a couple of hundred miles on my F6B the other day going nowhere in particular and just enjoying the great weather. I had a call last night from a friend who wanted to take a breakfast run today so this morning I rolled out my Harley FLSTNI and off we went. After about thirty miles I realized, almost subconsciously, that the FL runs smoother in every way compared to the F6B. These new generation balanced Harley engines are smooth. The Harley makes all the usual HD engine sounds but sans the old school vibration. The engine in the FLSTNI is rigidly mounted in the frame so any engine vibration would be transmitted to the rider. My Harley has been absolutely reliable as has my F6B. As stated earlier it is much easier to perform routine maintenance on the Harley. As an example air filter replacement is less than five minutes for the Harley and hours for the F6B. I have nine bikes they all have their pros and cons. I have go to bikes depending on what type of ride I'm doing. I want to see more people riding and enjoying the sport and don't care what they ride, just ride. Image is a farce, it's all about the personal experience. Ride your own ride.
    I have said this same thing, many,many times!!!!! Kinda like girls they each have something special to bring to the party and they are all good !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Top 5

According to World Business report, the top 5 selling brands in the "World", are as follows, by 2014 data, #1 Honda, #2 Yamaha, #3 Hero Moto Corp, #4 Bjaj Auto, #5 Suzuki.
    Yes, Harley was the #1 seller in the US, butt not in the top 5 world wide. Yes, most of those bikes sold in 3rd world Countries are small cc's, but that shows marketing !

"...the FL runs smoother in every way compared to the F6B", that's the line that lost me. I used to have to wear a weightlifting belt on my old sportster not to get the shit shaked out of me and all the way to my 2013 Road Glide that I traded for the F6B and the XL1200 I have now, although they're smoother there is no way it runs smoother than the flat 6. Even my XL to accelerate you crack the throttle, wait for the noise and then it starts to go. When you're on the F6B, you look at a spot, crack the throttle, you're there so quickly you have to slow down not to overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    McDonalds is the best selling brand in America for fast food and has the best franchise net-work around, (out-sells every other burger place on the planet) and their marketing scheme is, "bar-none", one of the best in the world!!!...Brings in $Billions of dollars every year.....Just sayin!!

That doesn't make their burgers the best. Or even close to it.

MARKETING...
    I never implied or suggested that Harley's were the best or the worst...We all have a choice as to what we ride and like the best...BTW, I personally like McDonalds burgers..JMHO

shooter
    Yeah , I'm with Opas. I don't care what you ride. Its your money. My brother in law and best friend rides an Ultra Classic.

Well I rode Harley's for 35 years....The last I owed was a piece of Shit that left me in the middle of nowhere in a motel room while the Dealer spent days trying to repair it. 4 times in 20,000 miles it had major break downs. They fixed it under warranty every time but didn't reimburse me the expenses of Motel stay and loss of work. When I decided it was costing me too much and decided to trade it in for a new one when they came out in 2013.The dealer offered trade in value of $5000.00 below book value because it had a" history of breakdowns". That was the last straw with Harley-Davidson..I'm now riding a Honda F6BD. I love it and doubt I'll ever buy another Harley.. The Problem Harley was a 2011 Road Glide Ultra 103. Honda gave me top book value for the Harley and sold me the F6B Deluxe Black for $18.400.00 out the door in 2013 a steal of a deal at the time....... Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"