Extra Gas Option - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Gas Option

I had it on my VTX for IronButts. I just moved it over and went a little more elaborate. I don't worry about running out, it's all about time. Stopping for gas takes time.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg View Post
    I had it on my VTX for IronButts. I just moved it over and went a little more elaborate. I don't worry about running out, it's all about time. Stopping for gas takes time.
    Who much extra fuel does hit hold ?

The tank is rated at 3.5 gls. The most I've squeezed in 3.3. And if you pack it full it will start to vent as it warms up in very short order. Usally after 15 miles or so I move a little bit over.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

I searched and searched but I cannot find the photo of me riding across the desert during the 1970's gas shortage. On a 1969 Sportster 900 with two 5 gal cans bungee'd on. Back then if you didn't carry extra gas and water you would become buzzard food. It wasn't unusual to ride 200 miles without a gas station........Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    I searched and searched but I cannot find the photo of me riding across the desert during the 1970's gas shortage. On a 1969 Sportster 900 with two 5 gal cans bungee'd on. Back then if you didn't carry extra gas and water you would become buzzard food. It wasn't unusual to ride 200 miles without a gas station........Dickie
    gas shortage? I'm gonna have to google that one lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    Attachment 15049Attachment 15050

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    Yes Sir I said gas shortage. You were only allowed 5 gallons at a time. They went by your tag number, odds went on a certain day, evens on another. You would had to take a day off work to sit in the gas line to get your 5 gallons gas to get back and forth to work...I actually witnessed someone get shot dead for cutting in a gas line. There were a lot of people carpooling because of the lack of gas.. Obviously if you are unaware of the 70's gas shortage then you must be much younger than I am. Please do Google it..................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by dickiedeals View Post
    Yes Sir I said gas shortage. You were only allowed 5 gallons at a time. They went by your tag number, odds went on a certain day, evens on another. You would had to take a day off work to sit in the gas line to get your 5 gallons gas to get back and forth to work...I actually witnessed someone get shot dead for cutting in a gas line. There were a lot of people carpooling because of the lack of gas.. Obviously if you are unaware of the 70's gas shortage then you must be much younger than I am. Please do Google it..................Dickie
    I worked at a Union 76 refinery for 2 years during the 70s. We had armed guards around the place to stop hijackers who were ripping the tanker trucks off once they would leave our facility.
    I remember when gas hit $1 a gallon I sold my meridian turquoise 68 Pontiac Firebird, 350ci 4-Speed (see pic) and bought a VW bug....humm... wish I had that Firebird back now, the guy I sold it to totaled it two weeks later, I loved that car.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I worked at a Union 76 refinery for 2 years during the 70s. We had armed guards around the place to stop hijackers who were ripping the tanker trucks off once they would leave our facility.
    I remember when gas hit $1 a gallon I sold my meridian turquoise 68 Pontiac Firebird, 350ci 4-Speed (see pic) and bought a VW bug....humm... wish I had that Firebird back now, the guy I sold it to totaled it two weeks later, I loved that car.

Dickie in our neck if the woods we didn't even get that. You sat in line and when the station ran out you went home. I was using Mt car as a tanker. I would fill it up then siphon it out and put it in my CB750. At that time I was commuting 100 miles a day. 2 gallons on the bike versus 5 in the car. The gas shortage era was rough.

I had purchased these (2) little gas cylinders from a Harley shop many years ago. never used them. Took them on the Yellowstone trip. One off our guys ran out of gas, it's not always their when you need it in the Dakota's. went to the next wayside and tried to figure out what to do, was a camper their, all they had was a 3' piece of coaxial for a stereo, we pulled the wire out of the center, fun, siphoned gas out into the two containers and ran it the mile back to him.