How hot do you feel on the F6B when riding on a very hot summer day? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How hot do you feel on the F6B when riding on a very hot summer day?

Depends on your definition of hot. With the stock shield I've done a few hours at about 100. I was just as comfortable as I am on my VTX with no shield. On the other hand I've been on the VTX pushing 120 in AZ and it felt like I had a hair dryer on my knuckles.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg View Post
    Depends on your definition of hot. With the stock shield I've done a few hours at about 100. I was just as comfortable as I am on my VTX with no shield. On the other hand I've been on the VTX pushing 120 in AZ and it felt like I had a hair dryer on my knuckles.
    Good to know. My Gold Wing is incredibly hotter than my VTX, both with a standard size windshield. And with Baker Air Wings on the Gold Wing.

Atlanta humidity is very high. Most days we have rides with temps nearing 100, we usually get back home by 2 or 3:00. before the hottest part of the day.

I frequently ride in very warm weather and find that, all other things being equal, wearing a LD Comfort base layer is a great help. Worn with a non-mesh jacket and used per instructions, the shirt functions a bit like a swamp cooler and I can ride in hot conditions in comfort. Early this week, I rode for about and hour and a half at temps starting out at 102 and rising to 107. It wasn't a ride I made by choice. I got warm but it wasn't bad. If I had taken the time to wet the shirt, it would have been even better. I also wore the LD Comfort long johns for this ride. At those temps, the sun can feel extremely hot on the tops of the legs and the long johns solve that issue. I don't know how well they'd work in areas of very high humidity. I think there's good reason why the Iron Butt guys like LD Comfort so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    I frequently ride in very warm weather and find that, all other things being equal, wearing a LD Comfort base layer is a great help. Worn with a non-mesh jacket and used per instructions, the shirt functions a bit like a swamp cooler and I can ride in hot conditions in comfort. Early this week, I rode for about and hour and a half at temps starting out at 102 and rising to 107. It wasn't a ride I made by choice. I got warm but it wasn't bad. If I had taken the time to wet the shirt, it would have been even better. I also wore the LD Comfort long johns for this ride. At those temps, the sun can feel extremely hot on the tops of the legs and the long johns solve that issue. I don't know how well they'd work in areas of very high humidity. I think there's good reason why the Iron Butt guys like LD Comfort so much.
    Thanks for the great information.

Ditto to riding in the morning or evening, especially here in Florida. I have a Madstad windshield. It is not the best looking as far as form but the function is great. When it is hot I drop it down and it acts just like the stock short windshield and allows airflow to hit my upper body and help with cooling. When I hit the highway I raise it back up and it is great. I don't get any wind buffeting me. Harley's are air cooled bikes which run at about twice the temperature of a water cooled bike. Having highway pegs helps too as putting your feet out help to funnel the wind up from the bottom. The full fairing with the Madstad is so great @ highway speeds. It makes the bike so much more stable and it is nice to be able to hear the Stereo too.

Here in Florida this time of year when its 97 degrees. You ad traffic heat, its like riding in a blast furnace..I mainly ride after dark with caution because you have to worry about Deer running you over and many animals in the roadway like Aligators etc........Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

On those days when you sweat

http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Ba...-Crew-Neck-Tee

When it is very humid and you sweat a lot, the heat out undershirt works great while you are moving and the hand wings are putting air on you. Even hot air makes you cool in these when you are sweating.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Ba...-Crew-Neck-Tee

When it is very humid and you sweat a lot, the heat out undershirt works great while you are moving and the hand wings are putting air on you. Even hot air makes you cool in these when you are sweating.
    Can't seem to find them in extra fat boy size..I guess they must tink only small skinny guys ride Motorcycles........................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

I live just up the road from you near Greenville, SC. I have a 17" screen with a vent - the vent does not do much. It's hot on the highway on the way home with an air temp of 97, but that is summer in the south, so I just deal with it as best I can. Even on my old Shadow with a windscreen, it was still as hot on the highway as the 6.

I am thinking about putting the stock shield on for the summer, but I do like the rain protection, and with the afternoon storms, it's worth the heat. Plus, most of the engine heat goes around my leg anyway - I feel some of it, but it's not too awful.

All in all, I still like riding better than driving, even in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Ditto to riding in the morning or evening, especially here in Florida. I have a Madstad windshield. It is not the best looking as far as form but the function is great. When it is hot I drop it down and it acts just like the stock short windshield and allows airflow to hit my upper body and help with cooling. When I hit the highway I raise it back up and it is great. I don't get any wind buffeting me. Harley's are air cooled bikes which run at about twice the temperature of a water cooled bike. Having highway pegs helps too as putting your feet out help to funnel the wind up from the bottom. The full fairing with the Madstad is so great @ highway speeds. It makes the bike so much more stable and it is nice to be able to hear the Stereo too.
    +1 on the Madstad. I have the #2 Madstad to be installed on an F6B and it ended my search for a windshield.