How not to spontaneously combust
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How not to spontaneously combust

How not to spontaneously combust

Gawd, 90 F and my PNW candy striped butt is melting to the seat somewhere between Carnation and heat exhaustion. So the water soaked bandanna isn't cutting it. I had a product from Techwear that is a water absorbing vest that I had never worn in the saddlebag. Time to try, soaked it and then poured a bottle of water over my t shirt and put it on. Instant Honda Swamp Cooler.
    It lowered the temp at least 15 degrees in the shaddy side of the ride. I was very comfortable instead of cooking. This is now a must have on all my summer/simmer road trips.
    ss^,
    Ken

I'm loving this heat. Headed to ocean shores tomorrow. Will be a little cooler out there.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.

Rode over 200 miles Fri/Sat on the Harley in the NW Florida heat & humidity.
    ATG-ATT.
    Mesh jackets are AWESOME!
    The stop-n-go traffic for 35 minutes in Ft Walton Beach was definitely beyond warm.
    Harley is going to need 20-50W down here.
    F6B is still in Philly - gonna ride her down here on the next trip.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Gawd, 90 F and my PNW candy striped butt is melting to the seat somewhere between Carnation and heat exhaustion. So the water soaked bandanna isn't cutting it. I had a product from Techwear that is a water absorbing vest that I had never worn in the saddlebag. Time to try, soaked it and then poured a bottle of water over my t shirt and put it on. Instant Honda Swamp Cooler.
    It lowered the temp at least 15 degrees in the shaddy side of the ride. I was very comfortable instead of cooking. This is now a must have on all my summer/simmer road trips.
    You poor Northwest folks. Come on down to the Southeast. We are begging for some 90 degree days.

I have discovered that a "Wick It" helmet liner and heat out http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Ba...-Crew-Neck-Tee undershirt does help a lot.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would love to be able to ride in our 90 plus heat here in Florida........................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

[QUOTE=Old Ryder;86806]You poor Northwest folks. Come on down to the Southeast. We are begging for some 90 degree days.

Well in all fairness, I used to live in Tampa. By around 90F I would hang it up, didn't matter how fast I went at those temps, the humidity just wouldn't let you be. But the smell of orange blossoms in the Spring and those spectacular Gulf coast sunsets, those were memories worth keeping.
    ss^,
    Ken

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Rode over 200 miles Fri/Sat on the Harley in the NW Florida heat & humidity.
    ATG-ATT.
    Mesh jackets are AWESOME!
    The stop-n-go traffic for 35 minutes in Ft Walton Beach was definitely beyond warm.
    Harley is going to need 20-50W down here.
    F6B is still in Philly - gonna ride her down here on the next trip.
    That mesh gear keeps the sun off and let's the air in. Only time its hotter is when you're stopped. Hope you like your new home 53. Congrats.

I recently purchased a "cool" vest (HyperKewl) I think it's called, for my trip to Reno last weekend. I was really happy with the difference it makes, it really keeps your core temp from raising. I wore it under a tshirt on the way up but bought a Armorall tshirt in Reno and that worked even better. It doesn't have any wool in it so you can feel the coolness better. It actually worked for about an hour and a half before I had to wet it again. It made a big difference in the 100 to 103 degree temps. I'm totally sold on it now. Highly recommended.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And for those extra warm, high humidity days in Florida we have these!

Attachment 15078
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    And for those extra warm, high humidity days in Florida we have these!

Attachment 15078
    In all seriousness, anyone actually try one of these, sure would have been nice in Tampa and Phoenix.
    ss^,
    Ken