Back from Yellowstone...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Yellowstone...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back from Yellowstone...

Returned today from our 10 day, 3,200 mile Yellowstone trip. Lodging, route, destinations set up by president of our riding club. 12 bikes, (9) harleys, (1), Bmw, (1) Yamaha and the 6. (8) single guys, (2) couples. Went Darkside for the trip and installed the Madstad for the trip, pulled a Bushtec trailer. Black Hills, Bighorn Mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Theodore Roosevelt National Park and all the places in between. No problems w/the Darkside tire or the new Metzler Marathon 888 front tire. Not sure if I found the sweet spot on the Madstad or not, my ponytail gets less tangled after a ride, sweet spot, not sure.
    6 ran flawlessly, even after operator error, end of long first day, at gas pump in Hobunk SD, that Had visions running around in my head of a huge tow bill home and a huge repair bill, ended up working out better than I had first imagined it ever possibly could!
    (3) nights in Keystone, (2) in Cody, (2) in W Yellowstone MT, then on the way home (1) in Miles Montana and last night in Fargo ND.
    Ran hard everyday, never under (9) hours from time we left motel till we got back. BMW rear ended 2nd day in Keystone, by buffer car between him and young twit not paying attention. Rider ok and bike drivable.no other major mishaps. Never got comfortable on bike, not 6's fault, just never got that Sciatic nerve thing to go away, was uncomfortable 10 minutes after getting on, wish that would not have been the case.
    (12) people could not have gotten along better than the bunch of us, made the trip so much better. Saw things that I would have NEVER seen on my own or w/my planning.
    Was a first time and an adventure of a lifetime for me, pics to follow.

Awesome, bring on the pics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

A few pics from the trip.

Some more pics.

WOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Very nice! I want to get up that way on my bike one of these days too.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    6 ran flawlessly, even after operator error, end of long first day, at gas pump in Hobunk SD, that Had visions running around in my head of a huge tow bill home and a huge repair bill, ended up working out better than I had first imagined it ever possibly could!
    You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?

I found that I adjusted the ride position several times on the 6 trying to find the right setting while on the Wing I just touch a button. The wind shield on the Wing works better for me. Cruise control, heated seats and heated grips are great. I had a Klock Werks shield on my six and that was great until it started raining for about 1200 miles. Luckily I had a second helmet. Normally I wear a half helmet, but I took along a full face helmet which I switched to during the rain otherwise I was going to drown in the rain that came right over the shield. When I could wear the half helmet I had to strap the full one on since it wouldn't fit in the saddle bags or the other bag I had on the back. I can put the full helmet in the trunk on the Wing and not have any problem plus everything locks up.

I thought about adding a seat, a different shield, heated grips and cruise and would have had to spend a couple of grand and still wouldn't have the navigation, adjustable headlight and lockable extra storage. That and trade in value on a 2013 F6b is not that great around here. I ended up trading the F6B and a 2001 HD CVO Wide Glide for the 2014 Wing which was marked down to 21,500. I only had to chip in a little extra. As soon as I got it, I put 190 miles on in one ride to see how the comfort compared and never had to get off to stretch or rest my backside.

I loved my 6 but have to say the Full Wing is much better for me on a long trip. I try to make that Idaho trip twice a year. Comfort is everything, plus my new black wing is pretty nice to look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?
    End of a long 1st day trying to get to our half way destination, pull into a little town gas station to fill up for the next day before going to our motel about 10 miles away. Not sure what it was, exhaustion, distraction, the markings on the pump but I saw "91 octain" next to a red handles pump, which was next to the green diesel pump, filled her up, pushed it away, went in and paid and when I went back out to start it, it would not rev up, thought what the f..., hear that red handles pump was off road diesel, oxiginated or some such shit and I had a tank full of it in my 6. You can imagine what was going threw my mind
    Small town, 6am, everything is closed, old lady said their was a man she could possibly call, he came over, sucked out the diesel, we rolled her over to the "91" and pumped her full, didn't want to start, kept trying till it would barely idle, ran like that for a minute or two till the 91 hit the engine, the idle rose, hopped on it and road it, like I stole it, for 2,800 miles. Resilient little bitch.
    The moral of the story is, pumping gas for 40 some years means sht in the end and we all make mistakes and sometimes you just half to laugh about it cause your buds aren't going to let you forget.

Geesh dude, everyone knows that small town pumps manned by lil ole ladies have red handled diesel! Where you been?

Glad she decided to start up. Simple mistake made by all. Smile and ride on, your friends can't ride you forever, they know they may need you to buy a beer someday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver