Back from Yellowstone... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back from Yellowstone...

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Stroguy,

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Like you, I just got back on a trip thru Yellowstone and on out to Boise Idaho. Bike ran great to whole time and didn't give me any trouble. I put on just under 4,000 miles in 6 days of actual riding with the
    most the first day when I put on 985 miles. Lots of rain on the way out. I too, never could find a real comfortable position where I could last more than a 100 miles. That and no cruise, a too short windshield and not enough lockable
    storage. So when I got back, I traded the 6 in on a new 2014 full gold wing. Cruise, Navigation, the whole nine yards. I can ride for a full tank of gas and not be uncomfortable.

Good luck on future rides.
    Just a curiosity question...what makes the full GW more comfortable? Riding position? Seat? Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    6 ran flawlessly, even after operator error, end of long first day, at gas pump in Hobunk SD, that Had visions running around in my head of a huge tow bill home and a huge repair bill, ended up working out better than I had first imagined it ever possibly could!
    You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?

I found that I adjusted the ride position several times on the 6 trying to find the right setting while on the Wing I just touch a button. The wind shield on the Wing works better for me. Cruise control, heated seats and heated grips are great. I had a Klock Werks shield on my six and that was great until it started raining for about 1200 miles. Luckily I had a second helmet. Normally I wear a half helmet, but I took along a full face helmet which I switched to during the rain otherwise I was going to drown in the rain that came right over the shield. When I could wear the half helmet I had to strap the full one on since it wouldn't fit in the saddle bags or the other bag I had on the back. I can put the full helmet in the trunk on the Wing and not have any problem plus everything locks up.

I thought about adding a seat, a different shield, heated grips and cruise and would have had to spend a couple of grand and still wouldn't have the navigation, adjustable headlight and lockable extra storage. That and trade in value on a 2013 F6b is not that great around here. I ended up trading the F6B and a 2001 HD CVO Wide Glide for the 2014 Wing which was marked down to 21,500. I only had to chip in a little extra. As soon as I got it, I put 190 miles on in one ride to see how the comfort compared and never had to get off to stretch or rest my backside.

I loved my 6 but have to say the Full Wing is much better for me on a long trip. I try to make that Idaho trip twice a year. Comfort is everything, plus my new black wing is pretty nice to look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    You can't leave that hanging out there! Keep one of us from doing the same thing?
    End of a long 1st day trying to get to our half way destination, pull into a little town gas station to fill up for the next day before going to our motel about 10 miles away. Not sure what it was, exhaustion, distraction, the markings on the pump but I saw "91 octain" next to a red handles pump, which was next to the green diesel pump, filled her up, pushed it away, went in and paid and when I went back out to start it, it would not rev up, thought what the f..., hear that red handles pump was off road diesel, oxiginated or some such shit and I had a tank full of it in my 6. You can imagine what was going threw my mind
    Small town, 6am, everything is closed, old lady said their was a man she could possibly call, he came over, sucked out the diesel, we rolled her over to the "91" and pumped her full, didn't want to start, kept trying till it would barely idle, ran like that for a minute or two till the 91 hit the engine, the idle rose, hopped on it and road it, like I stole it, for 2,800 miles. Resilient little bitch.
    The moral of the story is, pumping gas for 40 some years means sht in the end and we all make mistakes and sometimes you just half to laugh about it cause your buds aren't going to let you forget.

Geesh dude, everyone knows that small town pumps manned by lil ole ladies have red handled diesel! Where you been?

Glad she decided to start up. Simple mistake made by all. Smile and ride on, your friends can't ride you forever, they know they may need you to buy a beer someday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Glad to hear you had a good trip, the pictures posted I imagine are just the tip of the iceberg. Very nice.
    As for the diesel, a little extra lube for the motor. You were in the hot seat till someone else did something to get the attention, that's what makes the trip so much fun

Still meandering around the country

Congrats on a safe ride Choptop.

I am still in Yellowstone, leaving tomorrow for SD, eventually making it back to NC ....

Attachment 15096Attachment 15097

The "B" is amazing on the mountain twisty's !!!!!

Yes, congrats on a great trip.
    Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
    Definitely on the list of rides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Todd (firetech)

Badlands of South Dakota
    Keyston, SD
    Iron Mt Rd
    Mt Coolidge
    Needles Highway
    Custer Wildlife Loop
    Old Hill City Rd
    Johnson Siding