Another bike down - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another bike down

I have to admit that all these stories has me wondering about getting back on a bike, but, I loved it so much that I know I will. Still, the thoughts are there.

I hate this, and hope your friend recovers with no long term problems. I have been an MSF instructor for 20 years, and I have to say that whenever I hear that someone "has to lay the bike down to avoid a crash" I have to disagree. No one has a crash on purpose to prevent a crash. Very few riders even have the ability to control a situation in which they "low side" , which is technically what laying the bike down is, to avoid something in their path. What the reality is, a rider in this situation does improper braking to avoid the car or whatever, and crashes, plain and simple. This is the very reason the MSF has exercises in braking, and braking and swerving, because of the high number of crashes initiated by something in your path.
    There isn't a single rider, no matter how many years they have been riding, or how good they think they are, that wouldn't benefit from taking an MSF course, or other training. Motorcycle riding is a high risk activity, the key is managing that risk.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Yea---glad he don't carry a gun!
    I do. A 45 actually. With 2 reloads. You've heard if ATG-ATT? My gun is considered gear.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I hate this, and hope your friend recovers with no long term problems. I have been an MSF instructor for 20 years, and I have to say that whenever I hear that someone "has to lay the bike down to avoid a crash" I have to disagree. No one has a crash on purpose to prevent a crash. Very few riders even have the ability to control a situation in which they "low side" , which is technically what laying the bike down is, to avoid something in their path. What the reality is, a rider in this situation does improper braking to avoid the car or whatever, and crashes, plain and simple. This is the very reason the MSF has exercises in braking, and braking and swerving, because of the high number of crashes initiated by something in your path.
    There isn't a single rider, no matter how many years they have been riding, or how good they think they are, that wouldn't benefit from taking an MSF course, or other training. Motorcycle riding is a high risk activity, the key is managing that risk.
    +1
    There is no way that metal, plastic, leather and skin come to a stop on pavement quicker that the rubber tires with properly applied braking, so the notion that "laying it down" helped avoid the accident is flawed. If a cyclist low-sides due to a locked up rear wheel, and then comes to a stop before hitting the obstruction, he could have easily avoided any collision at all by staying on two wheels. Hope this fella recovers quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    +1
    There is no way that metal, plastic, leather and skin come to a stop on pavement quicker that the rubber tires with properly applied braking, so the notion that "laying it down" helped avoid the accident is flawed. If a cyclist low-sides due to a locked up rear wheel, and then comes to a stop before hitting the obstruction, he could have easily avoided any collision at all by staying on two wheels. Hope this fella recovers quickly.
    I don't doubt either of you but, I took the MSF course and I got broadsided two years later. No chance for reaction. He was waiting for traffic and pulled out as I was crossing right in front of him. The week before I had to do the swerve maneuver to avoid the same type crash. I think I had a target on me.

I wasn't there naturally and don't know the deal. Maybe he did have an out, and couldn't react quick enough. He's experienced with over 40,000 miles on his bike and not a crazy rider, always under control when I rode with him. I expect he might have had too much speed for the condition.

Maybe a good argument for ABS brakes in panic stops ?

+1
    +1

wjduke - I hope your buddy recovers quickly. And in all sincerity, I hope he's learned to give himself a little more room behind the vehicle(s) ahead of him. In a bike v cage match, we always lose.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    +1

wjduke - I hope your buddy recovers quickly. And in all sincerity, I hope he's learned to give himself a little more room behind the vehicle(s) ahead of him. In a bike v cage match, we always lose.

+1
    MSF advanced course are priceless and will make you immediately aware that your best chance at avoiding an accident is staying upright and applying the heaviest possible braking and utilizing correct avoidance maneuvers. There are always going to be the 'unavoidable', but when honestly looking back at the majority of my close calls I was either going over the speed limit, following too close, not having an exit strategy because I was sightseeing, or just never assuming that everyone is going to pull out in front of me or cut me off or turn in front me or change lanes into me. I hope that I never commit to purposely laying the bike down to avoid a collision as I would hate to slide my bike onto my body and into and under the oncoming cager.

Speedy recovery to your buddy and our two wheel brother.

Today in my work vehicle I followed a Harris County Sheriff Deputy on his bike that was never more than a one count from the vehicle in front of him. Way too close for my pleasure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Ditto

Steel, chrome, aluminum, plastic. None have as much grip as rubber.