4,000mi First Service
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4,000mi First Service

4,000mi First Service

Got an appointment tomorrow to take her in for her first service. She's right @ 4,700mi. What is it I want to be sure the dealer does or does not do? The one thing I know I don't want, is them changing out the final drive oil, but anything else to be sure of? If this is covered in the owner's manual please disregard and I will look at it tonight.

Really nothing to do but change the oil & filter. Check fasteners for tightness like brake calibers and ride brother ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Ok, I'll ask, why not have them change the final drive oil? I'm assuming cause you are doing it yourself? Is there any reason not to change it at 4k?

I don't believe the final drive oil needs to be changed for awhile. Just oil and filter and general look over for the most part. Valves should be checked at 16k somewhere in there is brake/clutch fluid but that's quite a while too. Very low maintenance machine for sure one of the reasons I love them.
    2016 Polaris Slingshot
    2015 Matte Silver F6B
    2014 GoldWing Tourer
    2014 Valkyrie F6C
    2015 Mustang GT
    2014 Focus ST3

My dealer also through my bike on the computer to check for error codes. Probably a good idea to have it done at the first service.

Leave rear end alone until 25K... I think ... check manual.... it has moly in it and needs to stay the recommended time... other that that... I would change oil every 5K . air filter at 25 and ride the dam thing !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Leave rear end alone until 25K... I think ... check manual.... it has moly in it and needs to stay the recommended time... other that that... I would change oil every 5K . air filter at 25 and ride the dam thing !!!!!
    +1. Don't touch the rear end. And your dealer should know this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D View Post
    +1. Don't touch the rear end. And your dealer should know this!!!
    Unfortunately your statement that "The Dealer Should Know This" is a "ASSUMPTION" They are in the business of selling motorcycles and then offering 600 mile "early oil changes" at exorbitant prices. Most if not all of the mechanics working at cycle dealerships never look at the Factory Owners/Service Manual. Your lucky to even see a "torque wrench" when visiting a service bay. That, in itself, is a indication of the technical competence of those entrusted to work on your machine. Ask me how I know

Thanks everyone. Pretty much what I thought. I knew the rear end is not touched until at least 20K, wasn't sure about the air filter. And Bob, your post is the reason I asked. I wanted to be certain as I am not comfortable assuming they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Thanks everyone. Pretty much what I thought. I knew the rear end is not touched until at least 20K, wasn't sure about the air filter. And Bob, your post is the reason I asked. I wanted to be certain as I am not comfortable assuming they know.
    Do yourself a favor and save yourself some money. Change the oil yourself. With the centerstand, it takes 30 minutes from start to finish, and that includes a cold beer while the oil drains. Honda filter is 10 bucks, .75 for the crush washer, and even the most expensive oil will only cost 10 bucks a quart, so for 50.00, +or-, you're good to go. I'm sure the dealer will want 100 plus.....