Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned

Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned

I am only willing to share this story with you because I hope you all can learn from my mistakes.
    So there I was last night a usually very well equipped and experienced motorcycle enthusiast ridding down the interstate damn near blind in the dark in very hard rain at 60 miles an hour with my flashers on with no fuel or working cell phone. I feel like this all changed in a matter of seconds but the truth is I should have been better prepared because I was an accident waiting to happen.

I just got back from an 850 mile each way trip to Panama City Beach, FL this morning. I have made this trip earlier this year in March and it was no problem.

The trip to Panama City beach, FL
    I rode 10 hours on Thursday in 85 - 97 degree heat from St Louis, MO to Montgomery, AL with no problems. I finished up Friday morning the last 3 hours which has nice high speed sweepers through back country roads where I can zoom along between 80 and 100 as needed. A really nice fun ride to say the least!!! At one point I passed 10 cars and a truck carrying a house in one pass. Man was I in the zone!!! Please do not do this at home!!! This is not recommended and extremely unsafe. I need to keep myself under control when riding this section in the future.

The trip home tested my endurance to say the least.
    I rode the trip home on Sunday from Panama City Beach, FL to St Louis. It was in the mid 90's when I left and was up to 100 degrees for nearly 10 hours of the trip. I had originally planned on stopping in Paducah, KY but I decided to make the whole 13 hour trip in one shot. The last 3 hours would be in the dark so the temperatures would be lower in theory. I had my yellow fuel light come on so I was just turning off to get gas before getting onto highway I-64 for the last 70 miles to my house when the rain of biblical proportions started. I was wearing the Scorpion Transformer helmet as a 3/4 with pull down visor. The visor got rain on both sides immediately and I could not see anything so with the other cars zooming by I could not take the exit to get gas. I pulled over under an overpass and put on rain gear but was already soaked to the bone. I then realized that in my packing I had forgotten the full shield part of my Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer helmet. I have never ridden in the rain without it. I tried switching to sunglasses with the foam but this caused my night time vision to be even worse. After missing the fuel stop exit I was now on I-64 and needed gas ASAP and I could not see anything. I put my flashers on and maintained 60 mph so I would not be run over. I went down the road a few miles and saw the first sign telling me that it was 7 miles to the next exit. I pulled down that exit and there was nothing there at all. I got back on the highway and the next sign a few miles later told me 9 miles to the next exit. In my head while trying to keep the bike upright at highway speed without being able to see anything I was calculating how many miles I had to go before I would run out of gas. I figured that if there was not gas at this next exit I would have to turn around and go back to the exit before I pulled of on I-64 and hope to make it back to the exit on fumes. During the next 9 miles all I could think about how could this happen to someone like me. Here I was at night and I was running out of gas in biblical rain with no cell phone almost 20 miles from where I last saw an exit with gas and people. I forgot to tell you my phone had died an hour before this.

These simple mistakes forced me to pull off and check into a hotel.

Lessons learned:

1. Always have complete rain gear.
    I don't know how anyone could ever ride in a heavy rain without a full face helmet. I have ridden for 8 hours in the rain in the past with no problem. The Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer helmet is a great helmet but when transformed into a 3/4 helmet with only the pull down sun visor it will not work in the rain. I had a clear full shield but not the part that connect to the helmet and holds the shield. It had been so hot lately that I had been riding with the 3/4 and the visor. I guess I have been too lucky this year and had not been caught out in the rain this year.

2. Have a means to keep your cell phone charged.
    One other mistake I made was not getting my USB charger port installed in the left fairing pocket. I installed it the night before my trip to Panama City Beach, FL in March but it did not work. I had not needed it until this trip and once again it cost time because my Android phone battery does not last more than a few hours when using music and GPS.

3. Always pull over and get gas at a half tank

I'm sure most of us have had similar experiences while traveling cross country. Nothing like riding 450 miles in a Hurricane wearing a Half shell. .When you have to lean the bike over like you are going around a corner to just go forward without blowing off the shoulder of the road the wind my be blowing too hard to ride..................been there done that.............Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Steve thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you arrived home safe.

I live by a few simple rules on the motorcycle, and first rule is that it's crucial to know the limits of your ride...whatever your ride is. Yes we have fuel gages but every person here should KNOW what distances they can ride on a full tank and not to depend on the fuel gage. The second rule you already laid out. Get fuel at prescribed intervals whether you need to or not. First of all you need to get off the bike to stretch and hydrate, and secondly you just never know where the next reliable fuel stop is, as was your experience. It doesn't take long to lose the ability to think critically when you're exhausted and dehydrated.

The rest of my few simple rules I'll save for another finger wagging session.

Im glad you made it ok....Did you know your USB in the left saddlebag will also charge a device?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    Im glad you made it ok....Did you know your USB in the left saddlebag will also charge a device?

Thanks for sharing Steve.
    Takes a robust "cup size" to put it all out there.
    In military aviation we do the same thing in regularly scheduled safety stand downs - "here's what happened to me and I'm sharing it so it won't happen to you."

So yes, while you were a self acclaimed "accident waiting to happen" you did not become one.
    The only armchair quarterback question I have is when you were at the first exit where there was nothing, why did you press on instead of then turning around to the known fuel exit?
    My answer is "get-home-itis" as that's what happened to me......

Again, thanks for sharing.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

We just got home last night from a 4 day, 1500 mile on our Street Glide through 5 states, all in the 90'S to 100's.
    I have to say the Glide never missed a beat or got too hot.
    Rain and a bit of snow in Wyoming, Clear in hot in Colorado, Utah, Idaho and particularly our home state of Oregon. Sun block, good gas and water were the key ingredients.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

shooter
    Steve the best part of this story is that you know exactly what you did wrong. You didn't listen to your instincts. You know you wanted to stop for fuel earlier , but you pressed on and didn't listen to yourself. We all do it. Especially when so close to home. Sounds like you learned a life lesson. Yeah I've done stupid stuff like that before. We all have. Glad you're OK. You haven't bought me lunch yet.

Yesterday was my first lengthy ride in the TEXAS heat. I did a 5 hour 1 stop, tour from Canyon Lake back to N Houston. An eye opener for sure. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Emergency ammo

https://www.batteriesplus.com/Charge...-Bank/PWR10176
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

JMHO...When I ride long distances, I run the first tank dry and then stop every 100 whether I need to or not ...Being from the South we are supposed to be used to the heat...this is both true and false...you need to pre-hydrate and go from there...you have to know your limitations and not try to push it! Better to pay for a motel room than a funeral.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com