Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Teach I'm having second thoughts about this rally. I may have to put a hitch on and buy a trailer. A week away from home may be like gearing up for a three gun match. My AR and Benelli are kinda long. Maybe I could mount a couple scabbards......................and the ammo requirements could be large.
    you just gotta have hidey-holes along the route so you can resupply

shooter
    Teach you're killin me. "Hidey-Holes" LMAO. You realize that most people have never heard of that don't you?

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Teach you're killin me. "Hidey-Holes" LMAO. You realize that most people have never heard of that don't you?
    And that's why we have them!!! Nobody knows about them!

Sounds like you had a great trip home lol glad you made it safe brother. Coming back from thunder beach in panama city last month we ran into some pretty heave downpours the last 100 or so miles of out trip and it sucked for sure. Fortunately I always wear my full face on long trips which I think is really important. Couple things I would mention.......

1. Definitely keeping a phone charger and a garmin gps in the left cubby is essential to my traveling. I NEVER rely on the phone as my only gps because up in the mountains it really doesn't work that well because cell phone reception is spotty. Only exception is if you have a program on your phone with the maps already saved but I haven't found a program to work nearly as well as the gamin so it stays with me always when I'm traveling.

2. I need a better rain suit because the one I have is a bit too big but it worked well the last time I used it.

3. I think if you are traveling a long distance stopping for gas every half a tank with make a long trip much longer. I usually aim for 180 to 200 miles between gas stops but my gas stops are planned and loaded into my gps before I leave for my trip. Also if you think you want some extra security, take a couple seafoam bottles and fill them up with gas and leave them in your saddlebags on long trips. That way if something does happen you have some gas as a backup just in case. They also sell 1 gallon reserves gas cans for motorcycles that fit in the saddlebags nicely without sacrificing a lot of room.

4. Staying hydrated is key, I've lived in the south my whole life.......... water water water Gatorade water lol

Grant

Blueverclear,

I like the idea of the 1 gallon can or the Seafoam cans with gas. Just a little extra insurance just in case.
    Yea you are right / I can say I am going to stop at half tank but we both no that will never happen.
    Steve

Steve, the ride you had are what makes the activity fun. You can make 50 perfectly uneventful rides, and they will be fun. It is these less than perfect that you will be talking about for years to come.
    PS... I went to a modular helmet decades ago for road trips. You'll never get caught out with one😉

Steve, almost forgot.... wait until you ride into two tornados in the same day, lol.... and you have to stand next to the bike holding it up in the wind, rain, and hail so it doesn't blow over.... I won't mention that this always occurs right after the only off ramp you could have taken to shelter.