Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long trip in 100 degrees lessons learned

Sounds like my first 10 years on motorcycles, give or take a few
    ss^,
    Ken

Hydration Packs also help

Thanks for sharing your story. We've all pushed the limits in one way or the other. I've done a few long distance trips in high heat and just this year bought a
    Camelbak hydration pack. I know it's important to stop, stretch and recharge oneself at gas stops but I was surprised how well
    the hydration pack worked for keeping me hydrated on the fly. With the pack half filled with ice, it also stayed cold for a long time. One tip for using one is after taking a drink, blow back into it to flush the line of water that would otherwise heat up in the sun.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Yesterday was my first lengthy ride in the TEXAS heat. I did a 5 hour 1 stop, tour from Canyon Lake back to N Houston. An eye opener for sure. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Emergency ammo

https://www.batteriesplus.com/Charge...-Bank/PWR10176
    Stro I always worry about how much extra ammo to carry. I've settled on a 50 pack in each bag. Wife complains I'm taking up space in her bag. Told her I'm balancing the bike. She still complained. Told her , shooting starts you're on your own. Now we have two 50 packs in each bag.

Thanks for the story!

Having stories are what makes for an interesting life. I have quite a few--but none like that. I have been caught in a hail storm with cars parked in the middle of the Interstate because they could not see--yes I was lane splitting on the I-40. They may have the luxury of stopping in the middle of a 70 MPH zone, but I did not. Frog Toggs may help keep you dry, but they do very little with marble size hail and the pain. There was another time following my buddies nose and instincts we ended up 400 miles from home at 5:30 PM on Sunday night and we both had to be at work bright and early Monday morning----oh--by the way, on that adventure all I had was a tinted shield on my 3/4 helmet on my VTX1800. Yea, no windshield either. It was 80 MPH following him in the dark just being able to focus on his tail light cause that was all I could see. I have learned some valuable lessons, too and a clear shield and extra glasses go with me all the time, because I know that you CAN wake up with "pink eye" in Dillard, Ga on Memorial Day. Contact lenses are useless if your eyes are swollen shut and vision IS a requirement to get home. As for the gas, a rule I use without exception for the last few years is that I only use the odometer and the first station I see after 160 miles is where I am stopping. FORGET THE GAUAGE. While it may not seem like fun at the time, it is stories like this that I look forward to hearing and sharing at Franklin in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Someone mentioned the USB charger in front left pocket. I bought that on the way out of the dealer when I picked up the bike.

Have a means to keep your cell phone charged.

One other mistake I made was not getting my USB charger port installed in the left fairing pocket. I installed it the night before my trip to Panama City Beach, FL in March but it did not work. I had not needed it until this trip and once again it cost time because my Android phone battery does not last more than a few hours when using music and GPS.

I must have a bad part from Honda or a blown fuse. I just have not needed it until on a long trip again.
    I will have it working in a few days now after this trip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I should have turned around after the first exit but I thought there should be gas ahead. (and there was) But after I saw the sign for 9 more miles I was thinking how stupid I was for letting myself get into this situation.

I feel like I am always prepared and things like this should not happen to me.

I do not skimp on riding gear, I just left that damn shield at home by mistake. (That will never happen again / for god sake we have saddlebags and if nothing else fits we need gear for the ride first over luggage)

When it comes to unfamiliar areas,if there is a gas station there I stop and get gas.
    I can see the gas station in front of me and know that it exists.
    I can't see a gas station at the next exit,so I don't know if one exists there.

Doug

Shooter, 2 50's sounds like a good spot to start. Just going to have to do without the lipstick honey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Stro I always worry about how much extra ammo to carry. I've settled on a 50 pack in each bag. Wife complains I'm taking up space in her bag. Told her I'm balancing the bike. She still complained. Told her , shooting starts you're on your own. Now we have two 50 packs in each bag.
    How many magazines do you take ?

shooter
    I have ten loaded mags I carry. Three on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    How many magazines do you take ?
    Why do think he is called "Shooter"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000