Hydroplaning? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hydroplaning?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    got ya covered.

OR....

Attachment 15359
    That's "Priceless"

I was thanking God for the Michelin Alpin some of you guys recommended when I drove over a mountain on highway 170 in Tennessee during a strong downpour a few weeks ago. Couldn't stop but I didn't slip once. Real confident with this CT & the stopping grip is really good.

shooter
    I've just got one more thing to add to the subject. You guys watch Moto GP?. I never miss it. Several times a year they ride in the rain. Riders are losing the front in the corners like crazy. They are hydroplaning. On the best rain tires known to man. These guys don't use second best. We can't even buy what they use. The very definition of hydroplaning is when the surface of your tire is no longer touching the surface of the road. Instead your tire is running on a film of water. And down you go. I don't care if you are running on a 280 , a 180 , or a CT.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzzPhotos View Post
    I was thanking God for the Michelin Alpin some of you guys recommended when I drove over a mountain on highway 170 in Tennessee during a strong downpour a few weeks ago. Couldn't stop but I didn't slip once. Real confident with this CT & the stopping grip is really good.
    That Michelin is good stuff isn't it. I say that it inspire confidence. I have another tire I would like to sing its praises. I have ridden in two hard rains lately. My Metzeler 888 grips the road better than any front tire I have ever used save for my 880 on my 109. Its a solid performer.

Nothing wrong with Metzler ...best rain tire(front) I have ever owned...just don't last very long!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    888 is supposed to remedy that Steve. I'll let you know in about 15,000 miles.

Double Dark Side

Just shy of 20K miles on my Bridgestone Battlax BT45. The center of the tire hardly shows any signs of wear but both sides, off center, are scalloped/cupped. Amazingly there is no vibration and the tire is as nimble as ever in the turns. The Ax is a duel compound "REAR" cycle tire and has been extensively used by GL1800 Trikes with great success. As there is little "leaning of the tire" on a trike folks report getting 30K miles + wear. I suspect, in my case, to get approximately 25K miles wear as I regularly hit the many twisty roads here in NE Pa. Like my OEM Stone, the Ax will be severed/cross sectioned when it's retired and plenty of photos taken to document what remains of the tire thread thickness

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Just shy of 20K miles on my Bridgestone Battlax BT45. The center of the tire hardly shows any signs of wear but both sides, off center, are scalloped/cupped.
    Could higher air pressure be the cure? On the stock tire, most recommend 40 psi to prevent that so maybe there is an optimum air pressure for the AX as well .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Could higher air pressure be the cure? On the stock tire, most recommend 40 psi to prevent that so maybe there is an optimum air pressure for the AX as well .
    Since the Ax has been installed I've run 40/41 PSI! Here's a pic of the tire! If you look closely you can see a fine line defining the hard and soft rubber!

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

Bob, do you have a fork brace on?