Hydroplaning?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hydroplaning?

Hydroplaning?

I'm getting very interested in this CT thing, and have done some reading but haven't seen anything on this subject. I know that MC tires CAN'T hydroplane, due to their shape and design. Have any of you darksiders experienced hydroplaning with the CT?

shooter
    Not with my Michelin Alpin. I rode in a driving rain two weeks ago no prob. Who told you that a MC tire won't hydroplane?

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    I'm getting very interested in this CT thing, and have done some reading but haven't seen anything on this subject. I know that MC tires CAN'T hydroplane, due to their shape and design. Have any of you darksiders experienced hydroplaning with the CT?
    I had a Avon Venom R 250 on the rear of my Suzuki M109 and when I tell you my a$$ was at a pucker factor of 10 from hydroplaning is putting it lightly. The Venom is a cycle tire! The wider the tire tread/thread with insufficient groves/sipes the more likely any tire will hydroplane, be it a MT or CT!

I'm a Dark Sider with almost 35000 miles on General G- Max's and never had a issue with hydroplaning. I ride 12 months out of the year with 6 of those months in sunny Florida between Oct/Apr and have had my share of quick Florida downpours without incident. The Max is rock solid wet or dry!

A few pics of the Mac's thread for clarity!

000_0443.jpg000_0455.jpgAttachment 15356DSC_0003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    I had a Avon Venom R 250 on the rear of my Suzuki M109 and when I tell you my a$$ was at a pucker factor of 10 from hydroplaning is putting it lightly. The Venom is a cycle tire! The wider the tire tread/thread with insufficient groves/sipes the more likely any tire will hydroplane, be it a MT or CT!

I'm a Dark Sider which almost 35000 miles on General G- Max's and never had a issue with hydroplaning. I ride 12 months out of the year with 6 of those months in sunny Florida between Oct/Apr and have had my share of quick Florida downpours without incident. The Max is rock solid wet or dry!

A few pics of the Mac's thread for clarity!

Attachment 15354Attachment 15355Attachment 15356Attachment 15357
    +1
    I also had the pucker factor running a 280 on the back of my 109. I put a Dunlop Direzza Star Spec ( CT ) on and found it had had way better traction on wet and dry roads.

The rule of thumb is

If the water is deep enough your going to hydroplane. They don't make a tire that won't

shooter
    Ding ding ding. Give the man a prize. Dog you are exactly right. Some tires are better than others. If that water is deep enough you will hydroplane. Unless you can fly.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Ding ding ding. Give the man a prize. Dog you are exactly right. Some tires are better than others. If that water is deep enough you will hydroplane. Unless you can fly.
    +2...although like Bob, I have not had the CT hydro !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    I respectfully disagree with that statement and have empirical evidence as I'm sure other that have ridden in the rain do.
    MC tires do & will Hydroplane if the water is deep enough and you are going fast enough say 1" and about 45 MPH as that is when it happened to me. Raining hard for a few days and all I had was my scoot to get to work so rain ridding was an everyday thing, but on the day it was pouring like a cow pissing on a flat rock and I hit a stretch of a city street at 40MPH when my RPMs went up, but my speed did not then the bike moved from the far right side of the right lane across the center line and the next thing I know I'm traveling in the wrong lane the wrong way almost against the curb, I had Hydroplaned across 4 lanes..... not only was I real wet... I had to go home and change my shorts.

I also saw a guy on a sportster doing 65 mph hit water and do a 360, never go down and stayed in his lane. He pulled over as I did too to see if it was a stunt or what happened. He was white as a sheet and did not want to ride for about 1/2 hr until the water had subsided on the road.
    Trust me on this one, a MC tire will HYDROPLANE & it ain't fun!
    Oh and one other thing, hit a big puddle and it can knock your feet off the pegs, just like a 2x4 hitting you at the ankles

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    If the water is deep enough your going to hydroplane. They don't make a tire that won't
    If the water is deep enough one should be in a canoe and not on a motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    If the water is deep enough one should be in a canoe and not on a motorcycle
    got ya covered.

OR....

Attachment 15359

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/