Big Bear, CA - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear, CA

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Labor day weekend sounds good. Are all you guys seasoned riders? I know JJ and Max are, just curious on how the rest of you ride.
    Depends on your definition of seasoned.

I have my limitations and am cautious in blind corners. I have had too many close calls with obstructions in the oncoming lane when going around blind corners.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Depends on your definition of seasoned.

I have my limitations and am cautious in blind corners. I have had too many close calls with obstructions in the oncoming lane when going around blind corners.
    I agree we must be cautious what I mean is if you can ride well enough in a group and don't mind spirited riding where you have visual and no cross traffic. Basically I just want to know the people I ride with can ride and be safe in a group. I'm not going to lead so I will go the speed of the group.

I ride up there all the time. Usually 330 to the 18 to the 38.
    Nice ride and nice weather usually.
    I am in for a ride anytime.
    I have been described as a spirited rider but ride whatever pace to keep everyone safe.
    2013 Black Deluxe( Sold), 2012 VFR1200 DCT, 2018 Gold Wing DCT

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    I agree we must be cautious what I mean is if you can ride well enough in a group and don't mind spirited riding where you have visual and no cross traffic. Basically I just want to know the people I ride with can ride and be safe in a group. I'm not going to lead so I will go the speed of the group.
    FWIW, we group ride with the SCRC (faster in front, slower in rear). Our chapter does not switch columns to fill in holes. We wait to be motioned up to fill in the column from behind the hole and then the tail-gunner adjusts accordingly. We ride staggered, not abreast (except at stops) so a rider has a little lateral space in an emergency if they need it. We switch between staggered and single file based on the road conditions. We use CB's and hand signals. I do not have a CB on my B yet.

Attachment 15446

We have done charity rides with riders that are unfamiliar with group riding and it can become a royal CF with switching columns, weaving and passing on any side. Almost like riding with crotch rockets.

I'm a seasoned rider and go on group rides often. We ride staggered but my current group uses the cross-over technique. No biggie because we have a hand signal for it.

I agree on being careful on those blind corners! I surprised a few riders today coming down highway 18 to the 330 in my big rig. Most of the way is just fine for trucks, but there's a few sections that are tight. There shouldn't be much truck traffic on the weekends but you still gotta watch out for those big RV's and 5th wheels.

Here's a pic of what I brought back today. It's from the city of Big Bear Lake. (old transformers)

Attachment 15448

Here's a pic of the bridge on eastbound I-10 near Desert Center.

Attachment 15449

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    I'm a seasoned rider and go on group rides often. We ride staggered but my current group uses the cross-over technique. No biggie because we have a hand signal for it.

I agree on being careful on those blind corners! I surprised a few riders today coming down highway 18 to the 330 in my big rig. Most of the way is just fine for trucks, but there's a few sections that are tight. There shouldn't be much truck traffic on the weekends but you still gotta watch out for those big RV's and 5th wheels.

Here's a pic of what I brought back today. It's from the city of Big Bear Lake. (old transformers)

Attachment 15448

Here's a pic of the bridge on eastbound I-10 near Desert Center.

Attachment 15449
    Nice pictures Bobby,
    Those transformers look a little tall. Did you stop by the Ehrenberg POE for an oversize permit?

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyf6 View Post
    Nice pictures Bobby,
    Those transformers look a little tall. Did you stop by the Ehrenberg POE for an oversize permit?
    Nope, it was legal. I flew right by with a green light on my PrePass.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Nope, it was legal. I flew right by with a green light on my PrePass.
    Ok cool.
    It was my day off today, but I always park my bike under the canopy where the State vehicle are parked. Keep an eye out for it, and when you see it, stop by and say hi

A ride to Big Bear is a great idea.

I'm in as long as I don't have to work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Bear Ride

We need a date and time and a place for a starting point. I think I'm in.