Big Bear, CA - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Bear, CA

Big ear Ride

Do we have a date and time and place to meet? I need to plan it is a busy weekend for me.

I know this was my idea but I'm gonna have to back out. Someone please take the lead on it.

Wrightwood, Silverwood Lake, Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake

Did Big Bear today with some friends from my riding club. Got up to 104 degrees in the mountains and 108 degrees on the way back. Ended up being a long day out and back.

Meet spot started out at the 210 & 2 and made our way up to Wrightwood, then to Silverwood Lake, then to Lake Arrowhead and then to Big Bear Lake for dinner. There was some construction and a bit of sand, gravel and rocks (some as big as a football which could wreck your day) on the roads so had to keep alert. Saw a group of @ 6 sheriffs on duo-sport bikes working the mountains as well as various 4WD speed traps. Crotch rocket racing traffic was kept to a minimum.

Big Bear

Escaped the 115 IE temp went to Big Bear today nice cool 85 and breezy, light traffic on the 38.

Good day for the mountains .

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyf6 View Post
    Ok cool.
    It was my day off today, but I always park my bike under the canopy where the State vehicle are parked. Keep an eye out for it, and when you see it, stop by and say hi

A ride to Big Bear is a great idea.
    An F6B under the canopy caught my eye as I went by there last week. With MY prepass giving me a green light. HAHA, what a small world. Im reading this post now because the Big Bear caption piqued my interest. Wifey and I took the Dee Luxe on its break in ride up there the week before Memorial Day. The town was nice and quiet!

We came in from the Barstow side, I havent been on Angeles Crest in years, grew up riding sport bikes in So Cal and we all stopped riding it decades ago because of the A-Hole squids freight training on the dead side of the double yellow at 100+ on their wannabe Kenny Roberts racers. And all the cops of course. Sorry, didnt mean to deviate, just made me flashback a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    How about a SoCal meetup to ride up to Big Bear Lake? I went there for work last week for the first time and what an amazing area of roads and scenery! I was driving my 18 wheeler and it's quite an adventure with a large vehicle up there! I'm going back this week to get the last pieces from a job we had up there. I'd love to go back with the 6 and tear up those curves. I imagine it's really crowded up there though. Anyone here have experience riding in that area?

I drove south on 18 from Lucerne Valley and yes it was really steep and curvy for a truck. As fun as it was, I don't think I'll go back that way. I came out through Redlands on 38 and what a long down hill trip that is, without any runaway truck ramps. Gotta be careful with the brakes up there! I'm going to go up 18 from San Bernardino next time. It looks like a better road and has passing lanes for the cars to get around me. The difference in mileage between 18 and 38 is only two miles from Phoenix.

Anyone interested in a weekend trip? Is Labor Day Weekend a bad time?
    You can actually go from Venture Beach through the Santa Monica mountains to the San Gabriel mountains take the Angeles Crest Highway to the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear, down the south side to Ortega Highway to Capistrano Beach without using a major highway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]