Both low beams blew at the same time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both low beams blew at the same time

Both low beams blew at the same time

Just back from a 15 day 7,800 mile ride. I saw the Crown of the Continent, the Glacier, Waterton area, beautiful! I headed to the Oregon Coast (through Portland) next arriving the evening of July 17th and it was cooler and felt great.

The next day I parked in front of a storefront and as I was admiring the view I noticed my low beam head lights were not working. My 2013 F6B no lights and only 29K miles - Dang!

I immediately checked the fuses - all good. Wiring connections were not loose to the headlights. Called Southern Honda Power Sports in Tenn. and talked to Chuck in service. He gave me the low beam fuse location and it looked good but I replaced it anyway. No joy. Called Chuck back and he had talked to some of the service techs by this time. He advised that in cases of quick extreme temperature changes the headlights can blow. I pulled them both and sure enough - both were blown. A quick trip to a nearby O'Reilly's and I was rolling south to Cal for the Redwoods and HY1.

The take home for me is unexpected stuff happens. Don't count on an indicator light to tell you when critical components like headlights fail, it's not there, at least not on my 2013. I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.

Happy riding to you.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

Are you sure you just haven't been driving so fast the light has not caught up with you yet?

I would agree that a change in temps can have a big effect. The airfield lights here in Houston have issues in early winter when it goes to 40-50 at night and then blazes to 90+ during the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Are you sure you just haven't been driving so fast the light has not caught up with you yet?

I would agree that a change in temps can have a big effect. The airfield lights here in Houston have issues in early winter when it goes to 40-50 at night and then blazes to 90+ during the day.
    90+ during the day is....winter? That's it....I have to move there. My sister has begged me to come down. I have to make it happen.

Yep, we can get an October day over 90.

You have to leave that Red Sox crud behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Jehu View Post
    Just back from a 15 day 7,800 mile ride. I saw the Crown of the Continent, the Glacier, Waterton area, beautiful! I headed to the Oregon Coast (through Portland) next arriving the evening of July 17th and it was cooler and felt great.

The next day I parked in front of a storefront and as I was admiring the view I noticed my low beam head lights were not working. My 2013 F6B no lights and only 29K miles - Dang!

I immediately checked the fuses - all good. Wiring connections were not loose to the headlights. Called Southern Honda Power Sports in Tenn. and talked to Chuck in service. He gave me the low beam fuse location and it looked good but I replaced it anyway. No joy. Called Chuck back and he had talked to some of the service techs by this time. He advised that in cases of quick extreme temperature changes the headlights can blow. I pulled them both and sure enough - both were blown. A quick trip to a nearby O'Reilly's and I was rolling south to Cal for the Redwoods and HY1.

The take home for me is unexpected stuff happens. Don't count on an indicator light to tell you when critical components like headlights fail, it's not there, at least not on my 2013. I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.

Happy riding to you.

Nice to know, thanks

I'm sure you had a 20 to 30 degree drop crossing over the coast range in about 20 mins

Sounds like an unbelievable trip, please post some pictures when you have time

Thanks for sharing the info, good to know.
    Glad it was nothing to serious, and you able to finish what sounds like
    an awesome trip.
    Yes please post some pics when you can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Todd (firetech)

Had the identical problem with my 2013 6 at 22K miles. Both bulbs out at the same time! Hit a Pa. pothole which almost jared the handlebar from my hands. I'm sure this did the filaments in

Here's my original Thread on the subject!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...Headlights-Out

Since that time I've replaced the low beams no less than three times. I now carry a twin pack of H-7 in my saddlebag

I'm now doing a better job of what I should have been doing all along - a simple walk around - pre-flight inspection.
    Great advice.

I was going to say a quick jarring of the bike can snap the filaments..Dont think temp would cause this unless it was very quick change...
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hgslayr View Post
    I was going to say a quick jarring of the bike can snap the filaments..Dont think temp would cause this unless it was very quick change...
    A big 10-4, been there done that at 2 AM on a foggy coastal night and a pot hole that would swallow a semi, wham bam and no light high or low on my VTX.
    Thank goodness I knew the road and got down to a safer speed to ride in the dark.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/