I have a therory on the low oil in the rear diff...........
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a therory on the low oil in the rear diff...........

I have a therory on the low oil in the rear diff...........

And it goes like this, mother Honda has planned it that way......What you say? Now bare with me on this as I tell you about something that has happened to a good friend of mine called Dale. Now Dale owns a small local boat sales and marine supply biz, he sells about 25 expensive ski boats a year along with other boats(the brand don't matter).
    Now every time he sells one of these ski boats he has to install a drain plug in the rear transom at his expense, the boat manufacture does not supply the drain plug. Now this has been going on for some years and one day he is at the ski boat manufacture's plant and has a chance to talk to the owner of the company and politely ask him why the manufacture can't supply this $5.00 drain plug since he does buy 25 of these expensive ski boat each year and it would be cheap to do so. Here is what the boat manufacture told him, "you sell your 25 boats a year and I sell 7,500 boats a year around the world so it would cost me $37,500 in drain plugs while it cost you $125 for your 25 drain plugs and with the $37,500 I save by not supplying the drain plugs I give my employees a weekend vacation in Hawaii every year".

Now what does this has to do with Honda shorting the oil in the rear diff? Well look at it this way, if Honda shorts each rear diff 2 oz of oil on (a number I came up with for all shaft driven MC Honda makes and sells in north America) approximately 250,000 shaft driven MC each year around the world, that is a savings of 7,812.5 gallons of rear diff oil not needed. Now if Honda's initial "check list" includes checking the rear diff and every dealer is checking the rear diff and topping it off upon the initial set up Honda is saving a lot of money in rear diff oil and passing the cost off to the dealers, which is a very small amount to the dealers(2 oz per bike).

Yea, I know this sounds like a big conspiracy theory on Hondas part with Honda figuring the dealers will catch it and top them off, but then the dealers, trying to cut corners on "set up" time & charges are skipping this step? We the ultimate consumer are paying the price.........
    I mean why else are we seeing so many rear diff a few oz. low? I wonder if the same thing is being seen on other models of shaft driven/rear diff Hondas? Oh and by the way mine was full to the top, but I bought it from a H-D/Honda dealer who knows how to check for low oil
    Food for thought.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

That sounds pretty logical, BIGLRY. But the way I see it is the Dealers who are catching it should be bitching to Mother Honda.

And for us consumers who have to follow up on the dealers not checking it makes me ask, "What are we paying dealer prep for?"
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Anything is possible I guess, but my suspicion would be laziness on all fronts?

Good theory Larry, by the way I clicked on your ring finders link and after looking at the picture from your may recovery, I see why they call you Big Larry!

R
    Mike

Yep, Larry, I think you got it right. It's all about money. I have no doubt that was also behind the decision to skip clear coating on the paint . I really wish Honda would start doing on their bikes what they do on their cars and that is to offer factory upgrades or "packages". Wouldn't it be cool if they offered packages like performance, comfort, convenience, etc.?
    Ken (Hornblower)

I wish they would put good clear cote on their cars. I have a 99 Black Honda Accord EX and the clear coat has almost completely come off the car. I have a 2001 Black Acura TL Type S that is starting to loose its clear coat. I have a 2013 Black F6B that came with scratches and bad (very easy to scuff or scratch) paint.

Is this a black car thing with the heat / is it my fault because it is not in the garage or waxed enough? The F6B is always in the garage and I use the liquid glass on it.

I now have 3 Honda's black / all with bad paint. The worst thing is I still love them all.
    Steve

One recourse dealers have is to kick back the cost on a warranty, plus labor. That might cut into their scheme a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    One recourse dealers have is to kick back the cost on a warranty, plus labor. That might cut into their scheme a bit.
    True, but how many rear diff have gone south due to no or low oil. Yes there is one reported here that was caught by the dealer, but apparently it is an interference issue not low or no oil. So there is no kickback that I can see and if they don't leak any oil they will run fine an oz or two low or at lest until the first service IMO.

Now on the other hand if Honda starts getting a lot or significant amount of rear diff failures and it is proven to be from low or no oil then maybe procedures at the manufacture's plant will change. I'm sure we all have seen the white paint on all critical fastners on the bike which are part of Honda's quality control to be sure everything is torqued properly, why don't they mark the rear diff fill cap the same way to indicated it is full?
    Yea, sadly I do believe it all boils down to the bottom line.....MONEY and not caring about customer satifaction!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Anything is possible I guess, but my suspicion would be laziness on all fronts?
    Yep, no doubt about that too.

One thing is for sure and that is that Larry's mind never has any down time. You keep this site pretty interesting at all times and I always look forward to your posts.
    thanks