Rear End Issue ....

Thread: Rear End Issue ....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear End Issue ....

So, I have 225 miles on my new F6B in about a day and a half. Dropped the bike off at the dealer to have my Garmin Nav / Valentine 1 hardwired to the bike last Monday.

On the advice of another member here, I texted the dealer to check the rear gear oil level since some have been delivered with less than the 4 oz required. I usually change it out to full synthetic 90 wt every other oil change or so. But, figured they had the bike at the shop and could easily do this.

Good thing I did.

Dealer called and said that just by chance when they removed the rear gear inspection/fill bolt they saw the 5 teeth exposed had aluminum built up on them. None of the rest did, just these. Apparently, there was some kind of burr or other casting defect (??) that these teeth sheered off. I don't know why the other teeth were not affected. But, taking this bike on a 2000 mile trip with ground up aluminum running around the rear bearings doesn't sound like a good thing.

Mother Honda is overnighting a complete new rear end. Shop will install it tomorrow.

I'm a bit concerned .... maybe I shouldn't be ... about taking it on the trip Sunday with only a couple hundred miles on the clock.

What do you guys think / recommend?

Ride it like you stole it. It's under warranty. I can't think of another bike I'd feel more confident about taking on a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    So, I have 225 miles on my new F6B in about a day and a half. Dropped the bike off at the dealer to have my Garmin Nav / Valentine 1 hardwired to the bike last Monday.

On the advice of another member here, I texted the dealer to check the rear gear oil level since some have been delivered with less than the 4 oz required. I usually change it out to full synthetic 90 wt every other oil change or so. But, figured they had the bike at the shop and could easily do this.

Good thing I did.

Dealer called and said that just by chance when they removed the rear gear inspection/fill bolt they saw the 5 teeth exposed had aluminum built up on them. None of the rest did, just these. Apparently, there was some kind of burr or other casting defect (??) that these teeth sheered off. I don't know why the other teeth were not affected. But, taking this bike on a 2000 mile trip with ground up aluminum running around the rear bearings doesn't sound like a good thing.

Mother Honda is overnighting a complete new rear end. Shop will install it tomorrow.

I'm a bit concerned .... maybe I shouldn't be ... about taking it on the trip Sunday with only a couple hundred miles on the clock.

What do you guys think / recommend
    ?
    Ride it and enjoy the trip, remember there is a Honda dealer in just about every city in the US and Honda does have a priority rush system for parts to help get stranded bikes back on the road. I'd bet dollars to donuts you will never have a problem I know I would not worry about it, after all it's a Honda.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Did the bike give any clues?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Did the bike give any clues?
    Not really ... I have a Wing and had a New Valkyrie, so I have an idea about how the bike "feels". This one felt a bit "tight". Nothing really wrong, just a bit off. I figured that was due to the F6B being new and "tight".

Apparently ... not so.

I drove to the dealer's shop this afternoon. I wanted to see what they found with the rear gear.

Well ... I looked in the fill hole and saw the orange/red paint from Honda on several of the gear teeth. Then, as I turned the wheel, I saw the white/silver marks of various amounts (aluminum) on about 5-6 teeth. And, the rest were just gray metal as one would expect. There was also small bits of ground up aluminum (I guess) on the sides of the housing.

One thing I saw was strange. The teeth on the gear were of different sizes ???? WTF !?

Those with the orange/red (rust colored) teeth were significantly longer than those with the 'aluminum' bits by at least half, or more. The grey teeth were in between.

I wondered if this were "normal". But, the Wrench I was speaking with said he took a look at my Valkyrie's rear gear as it was next door to my bike. He did not see any of what I just wrote. No different sized teeth, no white/silver marks on any teeth, and orange paint on some.

What do we make of this?

Anyway, a new rear end was over nighted to my dealer and should be installed manana. I plan on riding it a bit on Saturday, then take it on my trip to WV / VA. I think it'll be fine.

Cool

Anyway, a new rear end was over nighted to my dealer and should be installed manana. I plan on riding it a bit on Saturday, then take it on my trip to WV / VA. I think it'll be fine.

That was the point I was trying to make on the thread that started all of this.... for $100 and an hour of someone's time this is a permanent fix...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post

That was the point I was trying to make on the thread that started all of this.... for $100 and an hour of someone's time this is a permanent fix...
    I'm not sure what you mean, Steve? What point? That this tire never went flat before?

Well ... I looked in the fill hole and saw the orange/red paint from Honda on several of the gear teeth. Then, as I turned the wheel, I saw the white/silver marks of various amounts (aluminum) on about 5-6 teeth. And, the rest were just gray metal as one would expect. There was also small bits of ground up aluminum (I guess) on the sides of the housing.

I just looked at mine,and saw the orange on the ring gear.They but dykem on to set the shim spacers up for the right clearance.

I had to add oil
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Good thing I did.

What do you guys think / recommend?
    Thats some bad luck hope it's fixed for your trip.

Ed
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.