When I go on vacation I like to have everything planned as far as where I stay. For me it's just a relaxing feeling knowing where i'm going to be staying and I can arrive at anytime. The ride is first and foremost but it's nice to have a planned destination to end up at. The more I plan and learn about an area the smoother things go I think for me.

But!!!.....taking off to nowhere and just traveling and stopping anywhere does sound like fun. I think it's really two different types of vacation. When I head east someday I think that's the way I'm going to do it.

When I was in my 20s I quit my job and took off on my 79 Honda 750 from LA area and headed up the coast with just camping equip. After 6 weeks and 6600 miles of going up the coast to Washington then down to Boise and up to Lake Louise and Banff in Canada and back to LA camping every night stopping when I felt like stopping, I came back feeling like a changed person. So I would highly recommend this type of traveling.

So actually I think there are two ways to look at it. If you have a destination then make reservations if not then just ride baby!!!