I have a question for you "Touring" veterans... How much planning do you put into a vacation?
My Sweetheart and I are going to go from CT to Acadia National park and Cadilac Mountain in Maine next week. Reserved Motel and planned 5 days lodging and some general things to see.

After talking to a buddy who "NEVER" makes reservations, he makes a good point. Am I concentrating so much on the final destination that I miss the adventure and enjoyment of the ride?

His theory is drive and enjoy until you want to stop for the day, eat, rest, repeat.

By creating a destination with a specific arival time I may be short changing myself and miss the beauty of my surroundings for the tunnel vision of getting to the destination.

I may change up the vacation a bit and add a sixth day. Possibly come home from Acadia by way of Conway NH. Maybe climb Mt Washington. Spend the night in the Conway area somewhere and then continue along the Kancamagus Hywy, though Vermont possibly stay another night there and then home to Ct.
Doing ANYTHING unplanned and living in the moment is certainly out of my comfort zone.

So here's the question... Do you plan or just "Wingit" excuse the pun?