Love this site, yet concern: Website issue with Mobile & Search from Web inability

Thread: Love this site, yet concern: Website issue with Mobile & Search from Web inability

Love this site, yet concern: Website issue with Mobile & Search from Web inability

Let met say I totally depend on this site and am in awe by the folks who use this forum. I have never seen a better group of forum users.

I have several problems, and I have tried three times unsuccessfully to send a note to the admins, or at least I never see a reply, so I am taking this public in hopes of possibly fixing my understanding, helping to determine if this only affects me, and hopefully be able to resolve them as well.

I am hoping others will voice their opinions/thoughts and perhaps a fix?

1) I am unable to use google to search on my mobile easily when I am trying to find the recommended oil filer for example, unless you log in. Why is this a complaint? because neraly all forums I use allow public browsing of threads, so it is just type this into google, click on the link and BAM: info you need at the register at a store. Why wouldn't you want the whole world to find our site and realize how kick ass we are, and subscribe? it would drive up google searches when folks need to know info on teh F6B, but don't know this site already. the way this site works, I am prompted to log in with my username and password. it sounds like nothing, but when I am busy doign three things at once already, i don't have my passwords memorized becuase they are all strong passwords, so I have to lauch a new app, pull the strong password, switch back to my mobile browser, paste the password, THEN 3 minutes later I have what I need. So maybe this is only me, but can't you see my perspective on why changing this site from private reading to public reading would grow our community? By the way, if you are reading this, make sure you log out of this site before trying it yourself.

2) I never receive email notices about new replies to subscribed threads, nor private messages. I verified my userCP is set to send me emails, my email address is correct (I used to receive I have a reply to threads.) and it is not going to my spam folder. So I must log on to see this information. i use "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes: instantly using email" I have 48 threads currently.

3) When I subscribed to multiple threads, I would get an email about thread #1 reply, but threads 2,3,4,5 I would never get. It was like if i didn't click on a link for #1 right away, i lose the ability to follow the others. I may have this wrong, it just seems there is a point where if I don't log in, I know there are updates and i never saw a link provided.

THANK YOU EVERYONE IN ADVANCE!! thank you Admins!

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Let met say I totally depend on this site and am in awe by the folks who use this forum. I have never seen a better group of forum users.

I have several problems, and I have tried three times unsuccessfully to send a note to the admins, or at least I never see a reply, so I am taking this public in hopes of possibly fixing my understanding, helping to determine if this only affects me, and hopefully be able to resolve them as well.

1) I am unable to use google to search on my mobile easily when I am trying to find the recommended oil filer for example, unless you log in. Why is this a complaint? because neraly all forums I use allow public browsing of threads, so it is just type this into google, click on the link and BAM: info you need at the register at a store. Why wouldn't you want the whole world to find our site and realize how kick ass we are, and subscribe? it would drive up google searches when folks need to know info on teh F6B, but don't know this site already. the way this site works, I am prompted to log in with my username and password. it sounds like nothing, but when I am busy doign three things at once already, i don't have my passwords memorized becuase they are all strong passwords, so I have to lauch a new app, pull the strong password, switch back to my mobile browser, paste the password, THEN 3 minutes later I have what I need. So maybe this is only me, but can't you see my perspective on why changing this site from private reading to public reading would grow our community? By the way, if you are reading this, make sure you log out of this site before trying it yourself.

2) I never receive email notices about new replies to subscribed threads, nor private messages. I verified my userCP is set to send me emails, my email address is correct (I used to receive I have a reply to threads.) and it is not going to my spam folder. So I must log on to see this information. i use "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes: instantly using email" I have 48 threads currently.

3) When I subscribed to multiple threads, I would get an email about thread #1 reply, but threads 2,3,4,5 I would never get. It was like if i didn't click on a link for #1 right away, i lose the ability to follow the others. I may have this wrong, it just seems there is a point where if I don't log in, I know there are updates and i never saw a link provided.

I have had this problem ever since I got locked out when trying to change my e-mail addy.
    As to the log in I have mine set to auto so I never have to do anything, but open the site and I'm on. Never noticed the non public access thing, but I do understand your frustration of not having public access to info through search engines and I'm sure there is a reason it is set up this way, but I don't know it.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post

When ... dates ? I have never received your messages.

This is a PRIVATE forum for members to enjoy, registration is required. That is not asking much. This is not WIKIpedia. This is a Password protected forum to prevent and reduce any phizing from outside entities. Our front home page image has ALREADY been copied and put on to a t-shirt that is made in China.

To your #2 and #3 ... it is a problem that I am aware of and have been working to have it resolved, unfortunately we have not found the program error so that we can fix it. For the time being, there is no fix.

My answers are in blue.

My time is limited as I have a life also. The forum runs well but recently some glitches have occurred and it all started when I switched the programming over to automatic public registration.

I have reverted to manually activating new members, it takes longer and more of my time, hopefully there won't be anymore glitches.

Look at this way .... it could be worse, the inconveniences are minor in the grand scheme of things. Just enjoy the site as is, I assure you that if there was a better way to run it ... I would have already done it.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Thanks for the explanation, I can live with the issues I have, just have to check in more often, that's all.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

tell me if I am using your site wrong: I go to contact us at the bottom of the page. I just sent you another one. I wonder if since you switched to public auth, that these are not getting to you as well? Send me a reply and we can take this offline. I'm not bitching or complaining, I'm trying to bring a concern to your attention. If you know about it already, great. I'll wait. If not, now you know. If my website had been hacked and had to rebuild it like you did, I wouldn't expect everything to work, I just thought since I had not heard back, contact us was not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

When ... dates ? I have never received your messages.
    about 2 months ago, about 5 days ago, and again today.

This is a PRIVATE forum for members to enjoy, registration is required. That is not asking much. This is not WIKIpedia. This is a Password protected forum to prevent and reduce any phizing from outside entities. Our front home page image has ALREADY been copied and put on to a t-shirt that is made in China.

It's fine that it is private. I support making folks login. phizing will happen no matter, but at least requires someone to register and if you can track it down, you can delete them after they do it. IT's a trade off, and your call.

To your #2 and #3 ... it is a problem that I am aware of and have been working to have it resolved, unfortunately we have not found the program error so that we can fix it. For the time being, there is no fix.

sucks about glitches.. Glitches keep me employed thanks IT.

THANK YOU EVERYONE IN ADVANCE!! thank you Admins!.

I just sent a " TEST " thru to see if the the " contact" works.... Another way to do this would be to click on the person who you wish to talk to and then click on Private Message to send that person a question....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com