Driving style of darksiders? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving style of darksiders?

Thanks.

I am planning to go with a CT on the rear later this year. Doing homework now. Plenty of negative commentaries in the MC community, so experience counts to me.

My one friend used to ride CT's but stopped when his blew out after riding the mountains. My other buddy only runs CT's on the rear. Both over load their Goldwings and pull trailers. I do neither, at least at this time.

I did follow a buddy's Valkayre running a car tire. Looked like a large flat patch area that moved little as he leaned. We rode light curves and I could tell it was not a MT..

I will have my bike in Franklin, anyone can ride it...if someone did not tell you there was a CT on the back...you would not know !!! The 109 and the F6 are two completely different bikes !!![/QUOTE]

Ok, I thought that could be the case....thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
    Thanks.

I am planning to go with a CT on the rear later this year. Doing homework now. Plenty of negative commentaries in the MC community, so experience counts to me...
    Usually, the only negatives in the MC community come from those who've never tried it..
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

With ct do you need to change air pressure when going from one up to riding with a passenger?

Do you change pressure when changing riding style?

It would seem to be a pain if changing pressure was needed.

Richie

FWIW, here are a couple of online magazine articles pertaining to "The Dark Side".

They state various insurance issues (both personal motorcycle insurance and manufacturer/dealer related insurance coverage). The latter may explain why some dealers will not install 3rd party tires (MT or CT).

One article mentions decreased contact patch in the lean from a donated video. It appears their comment is comparing the contact patch of a CT straight up versus a CT leaned over and not that of a (CT straight up and MT straight up) or a (CT leaned over and a MT leaned over) which would be a more appropriate comparison.

tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles

trafficsafe-investigates-riding-on-the-dark-side

I have not gone over to the dark side yet and am still in the education phase.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I would like to ask this with the F6B....do you have to nudge it a little when cornering to get it to lean? I rode behind an M109'er with a CT and I saw with my own eyes how he had to give it extra effort. It didn't just roll over. Now, I'm not trying to start anything, just reporting what I saw while on many long rides with this guy. The 6 could have a different size, or sizes that work well.
    Duke on the B I can nod my head and go around a corner. Even with a MC tire on the 9 you have to work at the corners. If you ever ride a B you will see what I mean. Its more like a sport bike with bags.

Facts! Not Fiction!

For a comparison of "Contact Patches"! What you didn't know and now know

Attachment 15673

A CT's air pressure and sidewall construction i.e. 1ply, 2 ply etc. would have a direct correlation as to the size/shape of the contact patch. This is why there's a difference in handling between a run flat and non-run flat CT tire. The run flats require a lower "sweet spot" air pressure than that of a non-run flat i.e. 32/34 versus 40/44 or higher

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Duke on the B I can nod my head and go around a corner. Even with a MC tire on the 9 you have to work at the corners. If you ever ride a B you will see what I mean. Its more like a sport bike with bags.
    I figure that shooter, not trying it on a 6, or at all for that matter...just something inside talks to me.

Smile

CT is hell on a camera lens !

Usually the camera is in front of the rear tire.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
    What is the typical driving style of a darksider? Curvy roads vs flatlands? I can see the CT advantage of carrying more weight along with run flat technology, but do the sides wear out, or give issues, when doing a lot of leaning?
    Driving style? Maybe riding style. Triple Darkside, mountain roads favorite.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.