Driving style of darksiders? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Driving style of darksiders?

I find this whole idea intriguing as hell. My only concern is the rim bead being different between a car and mc. Other than that, I may give it a try when my OEM tire shits the bed. Can anyone elaborate or is it simply a ploy to hinder people from going this route.

resized.jpg

I liked the car tire so much I added another one.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevvvo View Post
    I find this whole idea intriguing as hell. My only concern is the rim bead being different between a car and mc. Other than that, I may give it a try when my OEM tire shits the bed. Can anyone elaborate or is it simply a ploy to hinder people from going this route.
    I saw a picture somewhere ... probably on another forum with a cut out section to show the difference in the rim bead for a motorcycle tire and a car tire. By visual inspection, I could not tell a difference.

Several years ago when I first started this darkside stuff, the bead was one of my many concerns. I ask the guy that installed the tire for me about the possibility of it coming off the rim. He told me, and I quote, "I have a hell of a time getting that tire off on purpose, there is no way it is coming off by accident" That was good enough for me!!
    Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014 Goldwing
    Pirellie SnowControl Serie 3 Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Pirelli Centurato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 40 PSI
    Full Traxxion
    Darkside #623 - 221,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
    IBA # 42128

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I saw a picture somewhere ... probably on another forum with a cut out section to show the difference in the rim bead for a motorcycle tire and a car tire. By visual inspection, I could not tell a difference.

Several years ago when I first started this darkside stuff, the bead was one of my many concerns. I ask the guy that installed the tire for me about the possibility of it coming off the rim. He told me, and I quote, "I have a hell of a time getting that tire off on purpose, there is no way it is coming off by accident" That was good enough for me!!
    We had a thread a couple of months ago discussing the very aspect of a car bead -vs- M\C bead on a wheel. Very informative.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I haven't gone darkside on the B yet, but rode my ST1300 double dark (DD) for a while so this is based on that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
    What is the typical driving style of a darksider?
    At or a little over the speed limit, cautious, even when I get a little wild it's nothing compared to what I see on the roads by other riders.
    Curvy roads vs flatlands?
    Both
    I can see the CT advantage of carrying more weight along with run flat technology, but do the sides wear out, or give issues, when doing a lot of leaning?
    I didn't get a chance to see any wear as I only put a couple thousand on them and they still looked new when I sold it. The guy who bought it rode back to California on it and said they're still going strong. He's planning a coast-to-coast and will not need to change the tires before, during, or after his trip. Will easily get 20k. I, on the other hand, bought my B September 28 and have put a little over 3000 on and am wondering where the rear tire is going!
    On the ST it took a little riding to get used to how it tracks the road. Lots of crowned blacktop roads around here and, (I don't know the terminology for it) it sort of follows imperfections in the road if you let it.
    To me the B handles like a dream, I was amazed on my 300 mile ride home from the dealer at how nimble it is. When I went DD on the ST it lost some of it's nimbleness, which was sad at first, but you get used to it. Maybe not even nimbleness as much as eagerness to initiate a turn. **I do not know if that will be the case with the F6B.**
    I'm planning a 3000+ mile trip in the near future and am worried I won't have enough tire for it unless I limit my spring riding. May have to go DD sooner than later.

Related but OT: I've seen many people make the argument that if you can't afford to put new tires on every 8000 miles then you can't afford to ride a motorcycle. This is an argument that seems based less on logic than the temperament that comes from hours of looking in the mirror making Zoolander faces and reciting "you're a winner!". It's more than money, it's a PITA and it's certainly not good for the environment. Wait.....that's it!! Greenside!! By using fewer tires we are polluting less! We are defenders of Mother Earth!!! MC tire users are just monsters!

Yeah....I found that long article in another thread here....very informative. I'm def gonna at least try the darkside since Vader and myself are close friends.