What grade of gas do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What grade of gas do you use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What grade of gas do you use?

I was told by the dealer that the F6B uses reg unleaded gas (87 octane)

What are we supposed to use?

I was bored at work and found a owners manual online .pdf and it says:
    Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher.

I'll have to check my manual but I thought the minimum required is 87 octane.

I have my ecm reflashed for a 91 octane tune (additional timing). My options here are 87, 89 and 93 so I burn 93 all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon186 View Post
    I'll have to check my manual but I thought the minimum required is 87 octane.

I have my ecm reflashed for a 91 octane tune (additional timing). My options here are 87, 89 and 93 so I burn 93 all the time now.

Who did your reflash for you?

I live in the PRK, so I always use the EXPEN$IVE kind in this $tate because that is the only kind you can get.

If SB-350 (a.k.a. ) goes into effect to ration gas by 50%, it will probably be more $$$ in addition to being scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I live in the PRK, so I always use the EXPEN$IVE kind in this $tate because that is the only kind you can get.

If SB-350 (a.k.a. ) goes into effect to ration gas by 50%, it will probably be more $$$ in addition to being scarce.
    I grew up in Southern California in the late 60's through the 70s, graduated high school in the early 80s. California defeated smog issues that were so bad there were many days during the summer where it was literally *not safe* to go outside and play. So we pay more for gas and put catalytic converters on our cars, BFD.

Sorry, it's just that the California hate gets under my skin sometimes.

Oh, and I run regular unleaded 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    I grew up in Southern California in the late 60's through the 70s, graduated high school in the early 80s. California defeated smog issues that were so bad there were many days during the summer where it was literally *not safe* to go outside and play. So we pay more for gas and put catalytic converters on our cars, BFD.

Sorry, it's just that the California hate gets under my skin sometimes.

Oh, and I run regular unleaded 100%.
    FWIW, every state that I have lived in outside of California has had catalytic converters since the 70's (even had yearly emissions checks since the 80's outside of CA) and some states are currently paying less than 1/2 for their gas. Don't you wonder (or know) where the other 50% $$$ is going in CA?

Also, can all CA commuters afford to have their gas rationed by 50% when no other state needs to ration gas at a time where there is a glut in the world supply?

Can all CA commuters afford $100,000 Teslas with huge obfuscated environmental impacts and tax subsidies (i.e. trade one environmental impact for a much more costly one on the backs of the taxpayers)?

Will all CA employers allow their employees to work 50% less and keep their jobs and benefits or will they outsource their jobs (and company) out of state or out of the country?

Sorry to the OP, didn't want to hijack the thread.

Tried all 3 available around Michigan where I live, 87.89,93....Don't notice any difference in bikes power/performance with higher or lower octane...Usually fill-up with 87 (cheaper) run tank half empty then fill with 93 just to make me feel good I guess.....I believe the manual says 87 octane or higher is okay....

I use 87 almost 100% of the time.
    My manual states pump octane number 86 (or higher)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    I use 87 almost 100% of the time.
    My manual states pump octane number 86 (or higher)

Doug
    +1.....87 Octane.....consistently delivers 40/44 MPG.....no pinging

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    +1.....87 Octane.....consistently delivers 40/44 MPG.....no pinging
    Thanks Bob,
    I forgot to mention the MPG.
    I get those same figures consistently and have never experienced pinging even with this Ethanol laced gas.

Doug