What grade of gas do you use? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What grade of gas do you use?

I run only 87 Shell or Mobile if available.

My bike has been running great for the 12000 miles I have had it. I don't even get a cold stumble or anything. This morning was 38 degrees and it ran great right out of the drive way. I know you should warm it up etc... but I never have on anything I own. I have a 99 Honda Accord with 180,000 miles, an 2001 Acura TL with 193,000 miles, a 2003 Honda Odyssey with 170,000 miles and they all run great. The only one that requires a warm up is my 1981 Honda CB750K which only has 6000 miles and it was like that when it was brand new when I bought it back in 1981. (all carbs require choke until warm)

I run stabil in the 1981 Honda CB750K only because I don't ride all the way through the tank in a few days. (sometimes / winter could be 3 months)

I have never run any Stabil or Seafoam in the F6B. I will ride this through the winter at least once every other week for a least 45 min to an hour. If I don't have 45 min to an hour I will not even start it. I did this with my HD Fatboy and it always ran great. Never leave them sit in the garage without exercising them. They get lonely and run bad out of spite.

Should I run a little Seafoam to clean the fuel injectors every so often?
    Steve

Regular
    Some call it tough love.....
    '88 FLST
    '95 Ducati 916
    '04 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
    '06 FLHX
    '09 Buell 1125R
    '13 F6B
    '17 BMW R Nine T Racer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I run 87 octane Shell or Sunoco. HD"s take 91. Last months trip to Daytona was 30-35% cheaper on fuel than before.(2300+ miles) An added plus I hadn't considered when I bought this bike.

Using Regular 87

Started using regular gas and the bike runs strong. Real happy that I read this thread. Thanks guys!

Premium and no cold stumble. and all the other gas on the left coast sucks..

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I just received my service manual and can't seem to find the US octane requirement. You'd think it would be in the Specs. but it's not. Anyone know what page this is on? I've been using 87 as stated by the forum and most members. Just wanted to see it in print in my new 2" thick Service Manual.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I run BP or Shell premium 93 octane only because all the gas in Illinois has 10% ethanol in it. I figure it cost me an extra 2-3 dollars per fill up to run 93 octane, I can live with that.

The guys in service and the dealer I bought mine from said they would use the 93 as well. We probably have gone to the same one for our stuff so I am sure you probably know who they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
    I just received my service manual and can't seem to find the US octane requirement. You'd think it would be in the Specs. but it's not. Anyone know what page this is on?
    Thanks
    My owners manual here up north in Canada on page 220 says an octane of 86 or higher.
    I put regular in mine..87 octane and I figure why pay for something you don't need. The ecu and programming will adjust the fuel for you so no worries just ride. I have 43000 on mine and can honestly say I have never heard my engine ping so all good.

+1.

87 octane is fine. My fallback - Honda recommends it and they offer a seven-year warranty...and the recommendation remains the same. If they thought there was any threat of long-term harm using 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel, I am sure they would change that recommendation to prevent the Honda checkbook from coming out....plus the associated reputation.

This big flat-six...we love it...but it is a simple motor that does not run hot or at high rpm or under load very often. These are the conditions that tend to require slow-burning, higher octane fuel.

I love Grey Goose...but my liver still processes it the same way as Svedka.

IIRC, the manual does suggest using an additive for longer-term storage, so I do what I am told. I also start using non-ethanol fuel (87 non-octane available here) around late October along with some Startron in prep for storage.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Random one View Post
    CountryMark! On my last bike the fuel mileage went down hill steadily until it was 15% down. Got two tanks of CountryMark fuel and on the last tank the mileage was back to normal. Forty-six miles to the gallon even with the heavy hand on the throttle. Bike idled better and accelerated better than it had ever. Turns out gas in Louisville has alcohol and another chemical in it to reduce emissions. It makes me wonder how do you reduce emissions while causing higher consumption per mile? The other chemical must be a form of oxygen bearing fuel. I would prefer Nitro-Methane over what ever they are using. A performance enhancer and mileage improver.

http://www.countrymark.com/countryma...d/169/Post/989
    We also have Country Mark up here in the Northern part of Indiana. It is rated as a "Top Tier" product, but only the Premium is Ethanol free. I use CM from time to time but only the Regular grade. Country Mark, Shell, BP, Phillips 66 are what I stick with and I can't tell a bit of difference in any of them.