Anti Dive Shim - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Dive Shim

GaTeach
    I had a dude in the dealership telling me about drilling a hole in a nickel and...

I think this is what he was talking about. I had no idea at the time.

Thanks to all for your help..............Richie

Just received my spacer... I'm going to install it and take the bike out; see if it has a favorable effect.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I just got back in from a ride (had to get a 1/2 stubby extension for my torque wrench). I have to say that I think the front end does not feel so harsh anymore. I am a bit amazed.

I'm glad I installed that shim kit. I don't like the idea of my shock "locking up" for any reason. They're supposed to move and absorb shock.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Will...+2
    Takes the hammer sound away and seems quieter all the way around...
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    OK my friends, I went to the above site and the 2 o-ring fix for the ADV are no way the size of a nickel. I have the Harbor Freight metric o-ring assortment kit and it doesn't have the exact size that the above site recommends. Site calls for 5mm bore x 8.5mm od, I have 4.8mm x 8.6mm. Will this work for the top? The site recommends 6mm x 10mm on the bottom o-ring, I have 5.8mm x 9.6mm. Will this work on the bottom? Any advise on this? Thanks, cueman

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    OK my friends, I went to the above site and the 2 o-ring fix for the ADV are no way the size of a nickel. I have the Harbor Freight metric o-ring assortment kit and it doesn't have the exact size that the above site recommends. Site calls for 5mm bore x 8.5mm od, I have 4.8mm x 8.6mm. Will this work for the top? The site recommends 6mm x 10mm on the bottom o-ring, I have 5.8mm x 9.6mm. Will this work on the bottom? Any advise on this? Thanks, cueman
    I have the SAE Nitril O-Rings from Harbor Freight and could only use two rings 1/32" thick. Attaching a pic for comparison of the 4 options for the spacer. I opted to make a spacer from aluminum sheet. It is currently installed with two 5mmx20mm Allen Head Bolts. Using the Nickel, Aluminum Crush Washer or the Nitril O-Rings will leave a gap between the AD Body upper and lower halves. Didn't want any debris getting into the gapped surfaces. The jury is still out on the effects of the spacer. I have less than 200 miles on the bike since installing it and notice that the forks more easily compress when coming to a stop. Not sure I'll keep the spacer in place as I actually prefer the stock handling especially in sharp corners where I tend to throttle/rear brake at the same time.

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0006.jpgAttachment 16036

Quote Originally Posted by hgslayr View Post
    Dont really notice much dive during hard braking after installing my shim..I dont ever remember having AD on my other bikes so dont see it as a big safety issue since Ive never been bucked off a bike yet...lol
    I couldn't agree more. I disabled mine on my 2016 F6B. I tested front end dive under high speed braking and cannot notice any more dive than with the ADV working. Took a 1000 mile trip and must say I cannot find anything to complain about. For the life of me I cannot understand why Honda wasted time re-inventing front fork operation.

Honda did it so the suspension could be set up with softer springs but still give support when you brake hard. It doesn't lock it up it firms it up. I tried the shim and changed back to stock. For my spirited riding I didn't like the soft feel on the front suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by TailGunner View Post
    Honda did it so the suspension could be set up with softer springs but still give support when you brake hard. It doesn't lock it up it firms it up. I tried the shim and changed back to stock. For my spirited riding I didn't like the soft feel on the front suspension.
    Add Progressive Springs and disconnect the anti-dive !!!!! I did!!! Much,Much better!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com