What oil are you using?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What oil are you using?

What oil are you using?

I know the manual calls for 10/30 with no graphite or molybdenum. So what do you use? I wanna change mine tonight or tomorrow for the ride out, already have the OEM filters. A lot of my other Japanese sportbike friends run and swear by Rotella T6.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Honda GN4 10w-40

But do a search... lot of past posts on oil; on this forum. I have used Shell Rotella T6 before in my VTX long ago; and I was using it in my past Triumph Rocket 3, but I lost two cam lobes due to it. Although I had custom cams installed in it by Carpenter Racing and unknown to me; Shell reduced the ZDDP level in that oil.

Flat tappet cam type engines need more zinc. I don't trust Shell Rotella T6 anymore; after that expensive little fiasco...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

100_0333.jpg100_0335.jpg Once you have enough miles to start using Synthetic. Check your manual or perhaps someone will chime in with that information. Way smoother shifts...........................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    I know the manual calls for 10/30 with no graphite or molybdenum. So what do you use? I wanna change mine tonight or tomorrow for the ride out, already have the OEM filters. A lot of my other Japanese sportbike friends run and swear by Rotella T6.
    They are using the "right" oil! Follow their suite and you'll be fine!

I know it also says JASO T 903 standard MA. No API SH or higher that say "energy conserving" or "resource conserving". I'm at about 1800 miles.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    I know it also says JASO T 903 standard MA. No API SH or higher that say "energy conserving" or "resource conserving". I'm at about 1800 miles.

With that low mileage.. I would wait before running a synthetic. Just my personal opinion.

I'm going to change out at the initial 4K mark on mine... no drama with this bike for once. Should be close once I get back from Franklin.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Are there any good options that are available at the W or Advance Auto? Motorcycle dealers are too far for me and Cycle Gear has crazy expensive oils.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Have you thought about getting your oil shipped from Amazon since the local sources aren't too local? I've done it because I couldn't get the brand I wanted locally.

I was kind of thinking I should do it before I ride out to the rally Friday. Our Walmarts have the Rotella and some expensive Castrol motorcycle oil I believe.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

shooter
    You can use a synthetic. The rings are seated and the cams run in. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W/40.