What oil are you using? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What oil are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    Are there any good options that are available at the W or Advance Auto? Motorcycle dealers are too far for me and Cycle Gear has crazy expensive oils.
    Just bought 1 gallon of Rotella T6 at Wally World for $19.57 which is cheap for synthetic oil

^ Just bought the exact same thing for the exact same price! I was just wondering if I ever had an engine warranty issue if they'd have issue with 5/40 since it calls for 10/30. It does meet the other requirements though. I've never seen one oil so widely used and praised though.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Keeping it simple...use any JASO MA oil in the appropriate viscosity range and you'll be fine. Like many others, I'm currently using T6 and the bike is running and shifting better than ever.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quantum Blue

BND Automotive, Brian uses a 12.5 W 35 viscosity.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Honda GN4 10w-40

But do a search... lot of past posts on oil; on this forum. I have used Shell Rotella T6 before in my VTX long ago; and I was using it in my past Triumph Rocket 3, but I lost two cam lobes due to it. Although I had custom cams installed in it by Carpenter Racing and unknown to me; Shell reduced the ZDDP level in that oil.

Flat tappet cam type engines need more zinc. I don't trust Shell Rotella T6 anymore; after that expensive little fiasco...
    Who determined that the Rotella T6 oil had anything to do with the cam lobe failures...Not doubting, just find it kind of hard to believe that the oil was the cause...Seems strange that only two lobes went bad???.... Maybe so, but?????

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Who determined that the Rotella T6 oil had anything to do with the cam lobe failures...Not doubting, just find it kind of hard to believe that the oil was the cause...Seems strange that only two lobes went bad???.... Maybe so, but?????
    Bob at Carpenter Racing. And the company that he uses to re-grind the cams for the 240 HP package I had installed in my Rocket. All the lobes were showing accelerated wear; but two of them were toast.... hence the pronounced "tapping" i was getting after my oil change with Rotella T6.

Afterwards on his recommendation; I went to Amsoil Heavy Duty Marine and Diesel Synthetic. No issues at all regarding cam lobe wear thereafter...

However.... do not run that oil in your F6B's.... it has friction modifiers in it. Wasn't an issue for my Rocket since the clutch and springs were beefed up for the 240hp kit.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Bob at Carpenter Racing. And the company that he uses to re-grind the cams for the 240 HP package I had installed in my Rocket. All the lobes were showing accelerated wear; but two of them were toast.... hence the pronounced "tapping" i was getting after my oil change with Rotella T6.

Afterwards on his recommendation; I went to Amsoil Heavy Duty Marine and Diesel Synthetic. No issues at all regarding cam lobe wear thereafter...

However.... do not run that oil in your F6B's.... it has friction modifiers in it. Wasn't an issue for my Rocket since the clutch and springs were beefed up for the 240hp kit.
    Again I must question the statement of friction modifiers in Rotella T6 Synthetic...Many on this board and the GW site have used this oil without issue for thousands of miles...A previous post a few months ago showed that NO friction modifiers are in Rotella T6Syn...The Shell website itself does not list any kind of friction modifiers in the oil and claims it is approved by JASO for 4 stroke motorcycles...I just switched to it this last change and so far it works for me....Perhaps down the road it may be a different story, but for now I will continue to use it.....Regards and ride safe.....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Again I must question the statement of friction modifiers in Rotella T6 Synthetic...Many on this board and the GW site have used this oil without issue for thousands of miles...A previous post a few months ago showed that NO friction modifiers are in Rotella T6Syn...The Shell website itself does not list any kind of friction modifiers in the oil and claims it is approved by JASO for 4 stroke motorcycles...I just switched to it this last change and so far it works for me....Perhaps down the road it may be a different story, but for now I will continue to use it.....Regards and ride safe.....

I believe that willtill was referring to the Amsoil Synthetic as having friction modifiers not the Shell Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Willl View Post
    I believe that willtill was referring to the Amsoil Synthetic as having friction modifiers not the Shell Oil
    Correct. Comprehension is key... opas ride.

...say, don't I know your screen name from the Vision-Riders Forum?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Rotella Facts

This is some great info on Rotella, a "Heavy Duty" oil which is second to none IMHO
    http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5...Specifications