What oil are you using? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What oil are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Correct. Comprehension is key... opas ride.

...say, don't I know your screen name from the Vision-Riders Forum?
    Yes, I used to ride a Victory Vision Tour which was a great bike....BTW, with 3 college degree's, I can comprehend just fine....Obviously, I mis-read the post as many others have done on occasion....Should have read more carefully.....Regards and I am still an active member of the VMC and ride with several other Victory riders when I can....

Willtill...I've seen guys with 400+ hp turbo busa's running T6 with no problems. Diesel trucks have more hp than 240. I'd have to say oil was fine...valve train not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by sandragggen View Post
    Willtill...I've seen guys with 400+ hp turbo busa's running T6 with no problems. Diesel trucks have more hp than 240. I'd have to say oil was fine...valve train not so good.
    HP has nothing to do with the problem I had. Engine design (specifically custom cams on a flat tappet engine) is what is at issue here; with that T6 oil.

Hey; I have no problems with y'all using that oil in an unmodified engine. Just be concerned if you introduce it into a reworked head.

I've been stung by that oil once... it leaves me in a negative view about it....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    Guys , Bob Carpenter is one of THE premier engine builders in the country. He is resonsible for the fastest R3 Triumphs on the planet plus some of the fastest sportbikes in the world. If Carpenter says there is a problem in certain applications then I for one would have to believe it. He wouldn't say it if it wasn't so. Doesn't mean you can't use it but it may not be appropriate for all applications. Like I said before , what applies to one vehicle rarely applies to others.

I have ran Rotella in many different bikes including GL1500-1800. IMHO the 5w40 is a little low or thin in heat & hard engine breaking. Once on a trip from IL to Ca ridding in July heat and a lot of engine breaking my 06 GL 1800 used over a quart of oil. I checked the oil level when I started home in Ca and it was between the marks. When I got home it was barely showing on the dip stick. Not good and since I have stayed with 15w40 Dino. My foot could never say T6 shifted better. Again not wanting to start an oil war, and as pointed out I know of no engine failures related to the weight and brand of oil you choose but I think my experience is worth noting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    I have ran Rotella in many different bikes including GL1500-1800. IMHO the 5w40 is a little low or thin in heat & hard engine breaking. Once on a trip from IL to Ca ridding in July heat and a lot of engine breaking my 06 GL 1800 used over a quart of oil. I checked the oil level when I started home in Ca and it was between the marks. When I got home it was barely showing on the dip stick. Not good and since I have stayed with 15w40 Dino. My foot could never say T6 shifted better. Again not wanting to start an oil war, and as pointed out I know of no engine failures related to the weight and brand of oil you choose but I think my experience is worth noting.
    I ran Rotella synthetic in my Valkyrie but felt in the Florida summers I could hear more valve and engine noise than normal. On the advice of my mechanic tried Mobil Delvac. It comes in 15-40 and on my Valkmc it reduced engine noise when she was hot. Since then I have used it in my C-14, Wing and now my 6. I also used it in my Jeep I recently sold with 100k on it. Changed the oil every 5k and never added any between changes.

I'll look for that Mobil Delvac 15-40. Does is carry the MA rating?
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    I'll look for that Mobil Delvac 15-40. Does is carry the MA rating?
    Major Truck Stops and possibly Wally World will have the Mobil Delvac.......not sure about the MA rating! Like Rotell, its a Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

Here's the specs from Mobil's Web Site!
    http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...VDuSwpEOAkHlw-

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    You can use a synthetic. The rings are seated and the cams run in. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W/40.

Me too.
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use Honda full synthetic oil in the red bottle. That way if there are any issues they can't say I used the wrong oil. It is double the price of Rotello but I'm OK with that.