REAR LUGGAGE RACK SAGGING:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAR LUGGAGE RACK SAGGING:

REAR LUGGAGE RACK SAGGING:

I've had the Bike MP3 rear luggage rack on my F6 for a couple of years now. I really like the looks and functionality. Ride 2-up quite a bit and just noticed that the rear of the rack is bending downward. Part of the problem is that my Saddlemen Bag has a semi-rigid bottom so it places a lot of pressure on the very rear of the rack where the rack platform curves upward.

Custom Chrome Rear Rack:

I installed the Custom Chrome rack as a replacement and find that once mounted it actually tilts backwards about 8 degrees (as shown in photo) which does not give much clearance around the antenna mount. The CC rack is certainly a lot more difficult to take on and off compared to the Bike MP3 unit. The CC unit seems sturdy (steel vs aluminum) but I don't like the looks quite as much.

Bike MP3 Support:

I wrote Bike MP3 with photos describing what was happening with the Luggage Rack. I asked if they offered their rack in a Flat version (no upward curvature at the rear of the rack) that I would be happy to purchase at full price as a replacement. Nicki (a service representative) responded in short order. Nicki was kind enough to remind me that their rack is rated for 6 pounds and not available in a flat version.

I think if you have soft luggage like a duffle bag this would probably not be an issue. I may send the rack back to Bike MP3 just so they can have a look and perhaps consider strengthening future units. I'm not upset with Bike MP3, there is no doubt I often loaded the unit up with at least 30 pounds of luggage.

Beside the fact that a rack is only rated for 6 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    I wrote Bike MP3 with photos describing what was happening with the Luggage Rack. I asked if they offered their rack in a Flat version (no upward curvature at the rear of the rack) that I would be happy to purchase at full price as a replacement. Nicki (a service representative) responded in short order. Nicki was kind enough to remind me that their rack is rated for 6 pounds and not available in a flat version.

I think if you have soft luggage like a duffle bag this would probably not be an issue. I may send the rack back to Bike MP3 just so they can have a look and perhaps consider strengthening future units. I'm not upset with Bike MP3, there is no doubt I often loaded the unit up with at least 30 pounds of luggage.
    What in the heck would you be loading on a bike rack for a trip that only weighs 6 pounds? That's just crazy to have it rated that low, what were they thinking, I mean most good size travel bags weigh almost that much without anything in them. Sounds like lets shop for something with a little more strength in it than a 6 pound rating.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post

6lb capacity? That's useless. I have the Show Chrome and was going to change to the MP3, but not anymore.

I have a rear luggage rack on the back of my 95 HD Heritage Softail and as I recall it had a sticker on it indicating max load limit of 10 pounds. Needless to say I've had 30 or more pounds on it for thousands of miles and no issues. Also if you look at the published load limits on the saddlebags of Harley Baggers they tend to be very low. My guess is it's the lawyers, the manufacturers know they will handle more but just don't want to have to defend that in court.

Conservative Load Rating

With the F6B being 62lbs lighter than a Goldwing, a conservative estimate of the Travel Pack/Passenger Seat would be 40 lbs. The 6 lb weight limit on the 6 is extremely low. Having a rack I "home brewed" shortly after taking deliver of my bike, it can safely carry its share of weight. My golf bag tips the scales at 30lb plus and I have no problems with the rack. Unfortunately I haven't visited a golf course which will permit me to use my 6 as a golf cart

100_0859.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0006.jpg

My MP3 rack is less than 2 months old and sagging. I keep less than six pounds on it, just to have easy access to gloves, rain suit and long sleaved shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    With the F6B being 62lbs lighter than a Goldwing, a conservative estimate of the Travel Pack/Passenger Seat would be 40 lbs. The 6 lb weight limit on the 6 is extremely low. Having a rack I "home brewed" shortly after taking deliver of my bike, it can safely carry its share of weight. My golf bag tips the scales at 30lb plus and I have no problems with the rack. Unfortunately I haven't visited a golf course which will permit me to use my 6 as a golf cart

Attachment 16241Attachment 16242Attachment 16243Attachment 16244
    Nicely done bob109 !!! I may follow your lead and make one (aluminum) then have it black anodized. I will turn the risers on my lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    Nicely done bob109 !!! I may follow your lead and make one (aluminum) then have it black anodized. I will turn the risers on my lathe.
    Here's my Original Thread on the rack which contains all the dimensions on the aluminum spools/risers

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...d-Luggage-Rack