First long ride and mileage is really impressive for new bike! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: First long ride and mileage is really impressive for new bike!

shooter
    OK just reread all the posts and I see Spud is up to 57.3 mpg. I don't know the elevation of Ottawa. If I understand Mira right it must be pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    OK , do you say you get between 36 to 38 in Lubbock but I think you are saying that at altitude you get a lot better. Maybe up to 50 mpg. I can maybe believe that. The O/2 sensor adjusts for the thinner air and therefore leans out the mixture to compensate. So are you making less power also? I've never been out west with the bike. And I don't recall questioning you about your mileage. I guestioned the guy that got 56 mpg from Ohio to Tennessee and back. I don't recall any mile high mountainous regions in those areas. 36 in Lubbock and 53 in Colorado is a big spread. I never noticed my fuel mileage increasing out west. Usually takes more throttle to make the same power. Basically negates the thin air thing. You're bike is obviously exceptional at times.
    Ottawa is about 230 feet above sea level. I can't speak for Spud's mileage. I can only speak for mine.

You stated that anything above 50mpg was questionable. So, if I'm reporting as high as 53mpg, that sure sounds like you're questioning me.

Maybe it's not altitude, maybe it's something else, but my mpg goes up as I go from 3,000 feet to 5,000 feet and up to 12,000 feet. Then my mileage goes back down as I head back to 3,000 feet. Whatever it is, those 53, 51, and 51 mpg numbers are accurate. And, I do know how to fill a tank and calculate mileage.

There probably is power loss at altitude, but the f6b has plenty to spare so I really don't notice it.

Here's a thought: my odometer is 3% optimistic. So, maybe... No, 97% of 53 = 51.4mpg. Still at that "questionable" over 50mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Left Franklin on Saturday at 6:00am, arrived in Detroit at 6:45pm, got 37mpg.
    ....dang, that was a long ride, no rain and a clear shot up I-75 once I got to Knoxville.

37 mpg is what getting on my bike and I have less than 500 miles on mine. Not real easy on the throttle either.

shooter
    So Spud is 230 above and getting over 57 and I'm around 100 above and getting 42. That 130 ft isn't going to make a difference. AFR should be around 13:1 regardless of conditions. So Spud is getting 27% better mileage than me. That's a lot.

I get ~35 around town and ~40 on the superslab.

I just can't take the 50+ claims seriously. They are either under very unique circumstances (downhill, tail wind, Sunday driving, etc) that just doesn't apply in day to day use, or their bike is running very lean and should be looked at.

So all you guys/gals getting ~40ish +/-, that is normal. Don't sweat it.
    Albuquerque, NM