LED fog lights/mis-alignment in the lower cowl ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED fog lights/mis-alignment in the lower cowl ???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    The lights are spring loaded...can you " pull " them over in the cowling ...I just put my thumb on mine and pushed/forced the light over...?
    No, these each of these particular Show Chrome LED lights are in a bracket; that is fastened to the supplied mounting bracket against the front of the engine heads; with two shoulder collars inserted into two rubber grommets. Then a screw holds each shoulder collar/grommet/LED bracket assembly together. I can vertically tilt the LED lights with the adjusting screw on the bottom of each bracket; but cannot horizontally move them.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have the same gap. I did the cowl twice and tried adjusting the light. As mentioned, it doesn't seem to affect performance but it's annoying. The cowl is a pia. I believe I held the light to the cowl during the install and they seemed to fit fine- so aI don't know what the problem is...love the lights but they should fit better.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I have the same gap. I did the cowl twice and tried adjusting the light. As mentioned, it doesn't seem to affect performance but it's annoying. The cowl is a pia. I believe I held the light to the cowl during the install and they seemed to fit fine- so aI don't know what the problem is...love the lights but they should fit better.
    I am toying with the idea of taking a heat gun; and attempting to gently reform the left and right sides of each knock out hole; where the lights are mounted.

Maybe I can lessen the gap somewhat; by doing that. Not sure. Am contemplating...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I would be real surprised if the cowlings were any different between '13 & '15.

And I cringe at the thought of trying to heat it enough to soften it.

If it was mine, I would do something about the mounting hardware. Bend, cut, redrill, maybe make a whole new piece. I would rather risk messing that up than part of the bike.

Just my .02. Hope you get it resolved!
    Albuquerque, NM

That looks like mine before I got the cowl on right. There are three things at the top cowl connection, the cowl goes on first or you can say its in the rear.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    That looks like mine before I got the cowl on right. There are three things at the top cowl connection, the cowl goes on first or you can say its in the rear.
    THAT WAS IT!!! I GOT 'ER DUN !!!

Thanks to your hint Fla_rider (...and also another reconnaissance mission to the local Honda dealer) I realized that the lower cowling connections were NOT behind the second most outer screw holes...

This is what it looked like before I took it apart; this is the right side view:

The Red arrow points to the piece that the Green arrow (the lower cowling) needs to mount behind. The Fuchsia arrow points to the upper cowling. I had the lower cowling "sandwiched" between the the two; seemingly it fit better. But I was wrong... so with great effort expended; I reinstalled the lower cowling Green arrow BEHIND the Red arrow

Now my new fog lights appear a little more centered (...compare these with the two initial photo's I posted in this thread):

Left fog light:

Right fog light:

The ONLY thing that bothers me right now (besides my sore fingers) is that the second outermost screw hole (on both sides) contacts a rubber hose immediately behind the Green arrow plastic piece. Sort of worried about abrasion but I don't think there is any movement or vibration down there; which would accelerate wear on the hoses; from that contact. I may stick something between the screw hole and the hoses; if I become paranoid enough about it.

This Honda's Tupperware is becoming more challenging than my past Victory Vision's body parts

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I too have a 3/4 in. Gap between the cowling and my socalmoto lights...I was thinking of putting some dowl spacers to bring them out further but after viewing this post, sounds like I may have installed my cowling wrong..ill check this weekend...
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just checked mine and it looks like I have my calling installed improperly like the picture above so it looks like I have a project this weekend
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What is Big Bike talking about; I don't have any original spacers... just the block off brackets that were installed on each front side of the heads.. ???

Well at least this seems to be problematic for others as well... do you have a 2015 Ken? I wonder if the cowling is slightly different; compared to the earlier F6B models?
    Mine is a 2013 Mach 18 black model. My apologies, I meant block off brackets. My Lights were some of the 1st preorders. I did find by relaxing the light adjustor screw, that helped with the fit, but I'm not sure what that does to the lights at night since I haven't tried them yet to see the light spread.
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Mine is a 2013 Mach 18 black model. My apologies, I meant block off brackets. My Lights were some of the 1st preorders. I did find by relaxing the light adjustor screw, that helped with the fit, but I'm not sure what that does to the lights at night since I haven't tried them yet to see the light spread.
    Hmmm. Block off bracket is supposed to be reinstalled when mounting the fog light brackets IAW the instructions I have with my lights.

Check your cowling attachment as I rediscovered in post #16 above.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537