F6B Problem...???
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: F6B Problem...???

F6B Problem...???

Just looking for some opinions...

My new 2015 just turned over 1,600mi.
    This is my first Goldwing, and one of the reasons I got it was I was always impressed by how quiet and smooth they always seemed, like at bike shows etc....when they are moving slow and shifting gears, sometimes they sound like a Toyota Corolla just gliding along...just Smooth is my point. My bike just doesn't seem smooth.

Now I know my bike has a different pipes on it and all compared to a full size GW..which is fine, I like that sound
    But what I don't like is that if I drive slow, like thru my neighborhood or if I hit the main roads at higher speeds the gears seem clunky...no matter how I shift (tried pre-loading the shifter) its just not quiet like I thought it would be, and its not just the gears, the engine itself seems to make lots of sounds of it own, again...just not as quiet as I expected.

Another thing is when I get back to my neighborhood where things are quiet and I'm just going slow (20mph or so)...instead of just gliding along, one thing I notice is that the front brakes make a slight intermittent schooch...schooch....schooch dragging sound....is this normal? Should they be adjusted?

I know if I take it back to Honda and they test ride it, they will just say everything is normal...and I don't know?...maybe they would be right? I think what I need is someone experienced with a GW so that they could ride it and give me their honest opinions.

Again, just looking for some feedback. The only time the bike runs the way I thought it would is when I wear my hearing plugs.

Thanks,
    Keith

Hook up with another Floridian this weekend and drive their B. Go have lunch and compare sounds like two old men comparing farts over a game of chess at the park.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

I think that's what I need to do. Being new to the F6B GW, I have nothing to compare it to so unsure if I need to have Honda take a look at it or not.

What about the brakes?

BTW....I am pretty certain that my fart sounds are normal, little more like a Harley tho

Unless you have already warped a rotor (or damaged it via impact); the brake sound is normal. The brake pads are free floating over the rotors; there is some drag that you may hear. Maybe a piston is sticking but I seriously doubt it; especially with the minimum amount of miles you have amassed to date.

You cannot "adjust" the brakes. You can only bleed them (the system) and replace the pads, as well as grease the caliper pins.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Cool

I have owned 5 GWs, 2 Valkyries and now my 6B. A few things you can count on. It will be the most reliable scoot you can buy. Smooth engine is undeniable as is that whine that comes from the fuel pump (always thought it was the alternator). But the tranny has always has been a clunker as in clunk, clunk and clunk when you shift, up or down. Won't matter. The brakes should be smoooooth and quiet so if it's new I would make Honda look it over. I bought the latest (13 FB6) from Extreme Power Sports on 301 just south of 60. Would recommend them if you can't get satisfaction where you bought yours. If I can help you in any way let me know, I kinda know my way around a Gold Wing.

shooter
    Its a motorcycle. The engine noise isn't isolated in a sound proofed engine compartment. Its right there between your legs. Everything you described sounds normal. Ride it. Its under warranty. If you're lucky it will only last 200,000 miles.

I like most everything about my B, except the clunky transmission. Learner to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donncat View Post
    ...But the tranny has always has been a clunker as in clunk, clunk and clunk when you shift, up or down. Won't matter.
    I liken it to snapping a chicken bone every time I shift. Not like my VFR, which is LIKE BUTTAH...

You folks obviously are not using the transmission mute switch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kdarmy View Post
    Another thing is when I get back to my neighborhood where things are quiet and I'm just going slow (20mph or so)...instead of just gliding along, one thing I notice is that the front brakes make a slight intermittent schooch...schooch....schooch dragging sound....is this normal? Should they be adjusted?

I had the same worries about the brakes when I fist got my F6B .... Look at it this way .... your bike is so quiet you can now hear normal operating noises that have been drowned out before.....

As an example, jack up a wheel on your car and then turn the tire .... you'll hear the same "schooch ... schooch" ..... Normal with disk brakes.....