New here, a few questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, a few questions

New here, a few questions

After reading a lot of threads I see where ABS is a con for most, I've never had a bike with ABS but it seems that on a bike this big ABS would be a huge benefit. Has anyone regretted buying the F6B and not having ABS? Will ABS be offered as an option in 2014? Has anyone heard of any improvements in 2014 models?

I'll be looking to purchase sometime towards the end of the year, not sure if I want to wait for a 2014 model with possible kinks worked out or try and pick up a 2013 at a year end price, if the prices even come down. If the 2014 has ABS I think I'd definitely wait for the 2014.

Thanks,

RLJ
    2009 Kawasaki KLX 250S
    2008 Kawasaki Versys KLE 650
    2008 Yamaha XT 250
    2005 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
    2005 Malaguti 50CC Scooter

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    :create.php:

I own and ride a couple of Hondas that do not have ABS, one being a Goldwing and the other weighing MORE than the Goldwing. Never had any issues stopping either bike.

2014 F6B with ABS, could be an option for the US market maybe????

ALL 2013 European and Canadian F6B's come equipped with ABS , I'm not sure about other parts of the world. Making a few US models with ABS is really no big deal for Honda, the parts are already there in the production line, they just have to export the ABS equipped bikes to the U.S.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I've never had ABS, so I don't know what I'm missing I guess.
    I had linked brakes on the VTX and liked 'em. F6B has linked brakes, so when mine is ready to be picked up I'll have 'em again.
    I believe full-on sports riders may prefer un-linked, but for my riding style, there are no drawbacks to linked.
    ABS on a bike? Well, I suppose so, but If it was an added cost option, I'd probably decline.

been riding a bmw k1200lt for 8 years & the only time abs activated was during an msf course. when i recently purchased my f6b, the absence of abs was of no consequence at all to me.

ABS

I also have never owned a bike with ABS. I agree it might be worth it to someone that has had it help them, but I don't know what I am missing either way and probably would decline ABS if it was an option.

As for waiting for the 2014 model year waiting on changes. Nothing has been released yet and honestly only thing I could see them changing is color choices.

Well now..............I have owned and ridden many bikes that have ABS, and I love it. There have been many times where the ABS brakes have made the difference between life and death...period ! If the F6B sold in the USA had the option of ABS...I would have bought it in a heartbeat, no matter the added cost. I guess it depends on what you think your own life is worth.

I think that Honda is STUPID to not offer the bike with ABS, when we know our Canadian and Australian comrades have it on their bikes.

There are many things I can do without on a motorcycle, such as heated seats...Hondas' version of a Nav GPS...or an airbag. But to me, ABS should be an option that is at the first level of upgrading any motorcycle. Honda offered that choice in the 2001 to 2005 Goldwings...non-ABS...or with ABS...and after that decision was made, then you could add anything else you wanted to.

But in the 2006 and later model year Wings, Honda told the riders that if YOU wanted to have ABS on your bike...you had to become a pimp daddy, and have a heated seat and a very poor Navigation package first...then you could get the ABS.

Having ABS on a bike is not a license to ride stupid...it is a safety tool...so that when a deer jumps across the road, or a car turns left in front of you, or the rain slicked road becomes slippery when braking, that is when ABS comes into play.

Some of the vids on YouTube demonstrating ABS are enlightening and show the potential effectiveness of the system:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MfLcJLaCs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9tRwQQgZ0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwAFvCtmGi0

I've never activated the system on the ABS equipped bikes I've owned, so I'm not sure what it'd do. But as Miles says, it may be a safety tool in certain situations. Like an extra large ammo magazine, you just never know when you'll need the reserves.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm like several here and haven't been on an ABS bike so therefore I don't know what I'm missing. I do know that on my Versys back in the day I was following a car too close and it had no working brake lights, I locked up the back wheel and fortunately had room to the right to maneuver out of the way or I would have rammed the back pretty hard as the car suddenly slowed quickly to make a left hand turn on a two lane mountain road in NC.

Since then, I've made an effort to never forget Rule #1, stay away from cars!

I know when I was looking at Connies before I got the Sporty Roadster, most Connie owners highly recommended the ABS and felt it was worth the price difference.

Looking forward to picking up a F6B soon! I've already begun prepping my wife that another bike is on the horizon..........
    2009 Kawasaki KLX 250S
    2008 Kawasaki Versys KLE 650
    2008 Yamaha XT 250
    2005 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
    2005 Malaguti 50CC Scooter

But in the 2006 and later model year Wings, Honda told the riders that if YOU wanted to have ABS on your bike...you had to become a pimp daddy, and have a heated seat and a very poor Navigation package first...then you could get the ABS.
    Just say NO to being a pimp daddy!

bought a bmw it had abs it was good but didn't really notice it being worlds apart from non abs oh until I had to have them worked on a little lite came on $$$ oh then to bleed the brakes with special tools $$$ like I said before it was only slightly better but to me not worth the extra money buy the bike now you wont be sorry !