New here, a few questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here, a few questions

Not to vote up or down on ABS but what rider, in his right mind, would lock up his brakes on a street with standing water as shown in the video??? Is it any wonder that rider crashed instantly? IMHO, if a rider is that stupid or inexperienced, he definitely should have ABS.

Close to 20 years of riding here and I have never locked my wheels up, just lucky I guess. I have had some Holy S*^% moments with sand, oil, or wet surfaces though. All that said, I have, and still own 1 bike with ABS, my 2011 Concours and it has saved my bacon in a big way a couple times. Ultimately you don’t know you need until you need it and then you really miss it. It’s just foolish not to have ABS standard on a bike as big as ours, but you can ride comfortably without it, just use your head.
    Still Wingman after the site crash!

in the olden days I used to set up my bikes (cables) to just barely lock at full pull. Now i just feather it to keep her under control -- a good rider can stop quicker without abs but in a panic situation probably not

ABS or Proportional?

Took a look at the shop manual while the service manager explained that the front brakes are linked to the rear on an 80/20 basis and vice-versa.
    Easy to believe when stopping as it's smooth, limits front end dive and feels better than any other system if used.
    I have confidence in my brakes and my experience and don't lock things up in deep standing water.

[QUOTE=Miles;7033]Well now..............I have owned and ridden many bikes that have ABS, and I love it.

I think that Honda is STUPID to not offer the bike with ABS, when we know our Canadian and Australian comrades have it on their bikes.

There are many things I can do without on a motorcycle, such as heated seats...Hondas' version of a Nav GPS...or an airbag. But to me, ABS should be an option that is at the first level of upgrading any motorcycle. Honda offered that choice in the 2001 to 2005 Goldwings...non-ABS...or with ABS...and after that decision was made, then you could add anything else you wanted to.

I believe we have taught Honda, over the years, that you must Have The Latest & Greatest to keep sales rolling. A good way to do that is to strip popular items off of early productions. Take the 2001 GL18, Honda knew that wind screen vents and feet heaters were popular and inexpensive. They were added back to subsequent years as Great Improvements in hopes of keeping interest keen on their products.

ABS on bikes

Quote Originally Posted by RLj View Post
    After reading a lot of threads I see where ABS is a con for most, I've never had a bike with ABS but it seems that on a bike this big ABS would be a huge benefit. Has anyone regretted buying the F6B and not having ABS? Will ABS be offered as an option in 2014? Has anyone heard of any improvements in 2014 models?

I'll be looking to purchase sometime towards the end of the year, not sure if I want to wait for a 2014 model with possible kinks worked out or try and pick up a 2013 at a year end price, if the prices even come down. If the 2014 has ABS I think I'd definitely wait for the 2014.

Thanks,

RLJ
    I guess I will add my .02$ worth, you mentioned Canada gets ABS, that is true, we also only get the basic version, no Deluxe, only 2 models of Wing as well, Honda Canada decides what we ride up here??
    Anyway, I have never had to use it, but I like the fact it is there, it is a technological improvement in braking and if I can stop 1 foot shorter with it, then that may be all it takes to avoid a collision.
    I was hoping to make Franklin, but it looks like plans changed again. Maybe Laughlin in the spring for me.