I knew it was too good to last.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I knew it was too good to last.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I knew it was too good to last.

i have been a rider since 1963 and have had my share of skinned knees and got hit once head on in 1985. Saturday 9/26/2015 I dumped my brand new F6B on the streets of Louisville, KY. Some S@# of a B)@$% left the fuel cap off of his Diesel Powered truck and dumped about 2 gallons of fuel on the road way. There was no visible clue to the spill.
    The back wheel shot out from under me as I was making a slow speed right hand turn.(Less than 5 MPH) I did not even have time to lift my foot up from making a full stop at the red light. As the back wheel started to go out from under me I forced my right foot down to try to catch the bike. Bad mistake on my part. The bike scissored my leg to the black top and broke both the tibia and fibia. And for good measure it also dislocated my ankle.

The bike only has a few scratches on the crash bars. They performed as designed. The bike only slid about 5 feet.

This afternoon I'm going to the Dr. this to schedule surgery to repair the breaks. I was amazed that they set my ankle and put a splint on my leg and let me go home.
    I am suffering some pain, Bless the designer of Oxycodone Hydrochloride!!!
    This is not a request for money, I am well insured both on the bike and health insurance.

I was going to the Tail of the Dragon for my birthday next month and with any luck I'll still make it with out any cast on my leg.
    Prayers are welcomed.

At any higher speed that could have been way worse. Diesel spills are the worst as that oil blends right in and takes forever to evap away. I flopped a bike over at a gas station once putting my foot down in diesel and slipped, not fun. Get well soon............
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Sorry to hear of your "mishap", Random! Praying for your speedy and complete recovery.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Thanks for sharing the circumstances as a reminder to all of us.
    Prayers inbound for good decisions and proper technique by the docs and if you have to go to therapy, get the HOTTEST trainer you can get - it's tougher going through rehab pain for anything less.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

All best wishes for a quick recovery. And many thanks for sharing the circumstances of the incident so all on this board can learn from it. Take good care.

Man... that's unfortunate indeed. I hope you quickly mend well.

Diesel fuel on the roadway can be just like black ice.

Entrances/exits to/from gas stations can be dangerous too; just as what you've experienced; with diesel spills. Always be wary of gas stations just for that.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Mend quickly and properly, don't push it.
    USN Retired
    IBA # 37743
    2013 F6B Deluxe "Big Red"
    2015 F6B Blue (Hers)
    Cage - 2006 SLK 280
    Previous Rides: 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2006 VTX 1300R,1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, countless dirt bikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wowsers and sorry to hear this mess. It is hard to break that want to drop a foot to the ground and correct the falling angle but this is another example for all. If it's going to fall, keep those feetses on the pegs. I stress it to my wife, that if we go down your best defense is to keep your feet planted on the boards and let the crash bars protect you. Trying to catch 900 pounds of inertia at 5 MPH or any speed doesn't compute for the human leg. It aintnot gonna happen.

Sorry again and enjoy the drugs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Sorry to hear. Hope you mend quickly. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson

Man that sucks and could happen to any of us. Doesn't matter how cautious you are sometimes when someone else is carless and doesn't have there head in the real world. Hope you heal quickly and are able to make the dragon. I want to do that to one day. Al
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.