Need Center Windhshield Mount for GPS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Center Windhshield Mount for GPS

Quote Originally Posted by F6bisnext View Post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a Klockwerks dark smoke shield. Love the mount pictured above, exactly where I want it now how can I mount it?
    The mount is attached with 3M heavy duty emblem tape, no drilling required. PM me for more information if you want to get one.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I am definitely interested in your mount, what type of gps will it except.
    Greg - 2 sizes. One fits suction cups up to 65mm in diameter (standard Garmin mounts) and the other fits up to 74mm (some of the larger Garmin mounts and some Tom Tom mounts). Will NOT work with suction cups over 74mm. Not recommended for 6" screen units due to weight, 5" screens work fine. The photo I posted is a standard Garmin mount with a Garmin #1450 GPS (5" screen).

Looks like we will have good riding weather in N. Illinois over the next week. If you want to see the mount, I could probably meet you halfway in Geneva or Schaumburg. PM me if you want to do that.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baytown View Post
    Yes, so am I.
    It would be good to see some other photos of the set up and mounting. Would just need to run the power cable without getting in the way of the intruments etc.
    Thanks.
    Ken
    Ken - here are some additional photos. I run the power cable from the left hand cubby behind the instrument panel and out the top, there is a gap there that makes this easy. Of course you have to drill a small hole in the cubby to route the cable, or wire it in somewhere else. At any rate, wiring doesn't block the instruments. No sure on how to do an international shipment assuming you want one, but we can probably figure it out.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have mine mounted on the left handlebar. This way I can push buttons while riding. In my opinion it may be difficult to enter info while mounted on the windshield.

Attachment 17077
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Not attached to window vent

Looking at these pictures it appears that it is not attached to the windown vent. How is it attached. I know you use suction cups, but I might be able to drill / mount a ball mount. Am I missing something with how this attaches?

Who are you addressing your question to? If to me, the mount attaches under the upper cowl with 3M double sided tape. No attachment in any way to the windshield or vent. The standard Garmin suction cup mount then attaches to the mount, and is secured with an additional tether in case the suction lets go. Does this help?

Looking at these pictures it appears that it is not attached to the windown vent. How is it attached. I know you use suction cups, but I might be able to drill / mount a ball mount. Am I missing something with how this attaches?

If you want to try and use a "Ball Mount" instead of a Garmin suction cup I can provide one without the plastic disc for the Suction cup. Less expensive, $40 instead of $50, shipping included. My only concern would be how much weight you want to put on it, it is designed for a 5" GPS with a plastic suction cup mount. Adding metal components (RAM mounts?) might be too much weight. Just letting you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    The mount is attached with 3M heavy duty emblem tape, no drilling required. PM me for more information if you want to get one.
    Bill
    I got mine at the rally. The 3M adhesive didn't hold up. The front end fell last weekend of Sep. Not my first go around using the mounting tape. i was sure to clean the area and I let it dry before applying. It never really felt secure from the first moment I put it on. Just my experience. I haven't addressed it yet. I have some 3M mounting tape on the way.

Funny thing is, I couldn't get my suction cup mount to want to stay on the surface either. I had another mount where I had removed the suction cup for mounting some where else. I just epoxied that one in place.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Sorry to hear that. You did mount it UNDER the dash, right? I haven't had any problems with the mounting tape, almost impossible to get off once attached. I will replace it for you if you want to send it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I got mine at the rally. The 3M adhesive didn't hold up. The front end fell last weekend of Sep. Not my first go around using the mounting tape. i was sure to clean the area and I let it dry before applying. It never really felt secure from the first moment I put it on. Just my experience. I haven't addressed it yet. I have some 3M mounting tape on the way.

Funny thing is, I couldn't get my suction cup mount to want to stay on the surface either. I had another mount where I had removed the suction cup for mounting some where else. I just epoxied that one in place.

I have mine right where you want it. Dead center just above the dash. It dosnt interfere with instrumentation at all either. I'm using a Zumo 660. Here's what I did...
    I custom made from wood a piece that resembles a doorstop. I used a moto tool to shape it to lay flat against the dashboard dead center of the speedometer. The dash has curvature in two directions...left and right, forward and back. It requires a bit of time but necessary to have the bottom of the doorstop match the shape of the dash. Now I'm using a Klockwerks 16" screen tinted dark that plays a big part in this. I used Velcro on the dash and on the bottom of my wooden mount which I first painted black. velcrowing the "wedge" to the top of the dash holds everything in place. I then used black foam to support the end of the wedge (towards the front of the bike) using the windshield for support. So I have two wedges..they "slide" against one another to create the downward pressure between the top of the dash and the inside of the windshield needed to support the weight of the GPS. The 660 of course comes with a mount. I screwed this to what is the flat face of the wooden wedge, it faces the rider. The wire I ran between the shield and dash and routed it to behind the glove compartment on the drivers side of the bike. With the wood painted black and black foam you can't see a thing. I have the GPS right in my face and it's not blocking instruments. It detaches in seconds and into the lockable compartment when I park. I have it plugged into the sound system and when running with voice overs I use the integrated MP3 feature. The assembly holds tight, I've had it on a few trips with no problems at all...