Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Autopsy

Thread: Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Autopsy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best bang for the buck

If I could only make ONE change to my F6B it would be to immediately throw away the OEM front and replace it with the BT-45. I put my AX on at 12k miles and it is ready for a new one at 32K miles. The improved handling, stability tire longevity and general feeling of confidence in the front end sticking to the road in tight fast corners is why I can make this statement. Like others with the BT-45 the cupping issue does start show up after about 15k miles but this is a direct result hard front braking. The harder center and progressively softer rubber to each side of this tire makes me wonder WHY other tires do not perform like the BT-45.

As a side note....I also run the Yokohama on the rear and based on current wear - should get 35k miles out of this tire. This rear is a bit shorter and has less roll out than some others which put me about 250 RPM higher is 5th gear but the improved throttle response between gears and that sweet spot in 3rd and 4th on challenging back county roads of Tennessee is incredible.

Every discussion that I have been engaged in about the BT-45 and the Darkside has always been prefaced by "buy and ride whatever product you are comfortable with" After all this is supposed to be ENJOYABLE.

Take care my friends
    Michael Neal
    riding the hills of Texas and Tennessee

Current Upgrades
    ECB front pad on the LEFT front....OEM pad right front - you will know why if you use the front brakes hard enough to know the difference
    Custom paint job with Mango Tango Dodge orange
    BT-45 front
    Yokohama rear
    Seth Lamm seat
    Kury LED lights on rear
    Honda luggage rack
    TomTom GPS

[QUOTE.
    Current Upgrades
    ECB front pad on the LEFT front....OEM pad right front - you will know why if you use the front brakes hard enough to know the difference
    [/QUOTE]

Mike: Just having changed my front pads and I found the left inside pad to have considerably more wear than the left outside pad and right side pads. That linked braking system sure put some additional wear to the inside left front pad! I stayed with the OEM pads and discovered that they are in fact sintered (lots of copper)! So much so that you can read continuity with a OHM Meter. With the OEM 's delivering 39+K miles of service, with minimum wear to the rotors, the choice was easy

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Mike: Just having changed my front pads and I found the left inside pad to have considerably more wear than the left outside pad and right side pads. That linked braking system sure put some additional wear to the inside left front pad! I stayed with the OEM pads and discovered that they are in fact sintered (lots of copper)! So much so that you can read continuity with a OHM Meter. With the OEM 's delivering 39+K miles of service, with minimum wear to the rotors, the choice was easy

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Unfortunately,. my left front pad was wore out at 20k. This upgrade was in response to the heavy wear on the left pad. I also replaced the front wheel bearings with the upgraded version of All Balls aftermarket bearings.
    I do love the quote about the first guy who invented the wheel was an idiot and the second guy being a genius. Posting new information on the forum allows others to see what is possible and is not intended for all those who read the post to make a similar choice. 40 years of Riding experience and a garage full of pieces and parts that did not work out has taught me that not every idea that we come up with is a good one. When I replace the front tire next month I will inspect the pads and rotors and post my findings.

Ride safe
    Headed to the big rally in Galveston in November
    Mike Neal

Quote Originally Posted by mike neal View Post
    Unfortunately,. my left front pad was wore out at 20k. This upgrade was in response to the heavy wear on the left pad. I also replaced the front wheel bearings with the upgraded version of All Balls aftermarket bearings.
    I do love the quote about the first guy who invented the wheel was an idiot and the second guy being a genius. Posting new information on the forum allows others to see what is possible and is not intended for all those who read the post to make a similar choice. 40 years of Riding experience and a garage full of pieces and parts that did not work out has taught me that not every idea that we come up with is a good one. When I replace the front tire next month I will inspect the pads and rotors and post my findings.

Ride safe
    Headed to the big rally in Galveston in November
    Mike Neal
    Oh how I know that only to well

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/