Through the air with the greatest of ease...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Through the air with the greatest of ease...

Through the air with the greatest of ease...

Early afternoon today I was on HY 247 leaving Warner Robins GA. A flatbed truck was stopped 50 yards ahead on the side of the road. Traffic clustered and slowed to 50 mph and I found myself following too close with one hand on the bars. The car in front of me strattled a full bag of feed and left an unavoidable object in my path. Absolutely no time to think. Next I realized I was standing dirt bike fashion gunning the 6 and pulling back hard on the bars. Just as the front tire launched good the back tire hit the bag - causing the back end to jump into the air high enough for the seat to hit my butt. It hit hard enough to send my torso over the windshield and stood the 6 on the front tire.

You know how time seems to slow wayyy down? It did. I was riding on the front tire long enough to remember thinking - dang just the front is on the ground! The back tire finally touched down and the 6 never so much as wobbled. I never moved over in my lane and was on the exact trajectory before I launched into my front tire wheelie. Traffic behind me had slowed. And I guess it all happened in a second.

I pulled down a side road for inspection. The center stand dug into the bag and had some finely ground moist (hog?) feed stuck to it. Wheels were fine, front end seemed good. Thankfully no damage to the upper or lower of the 6. I later ran interstate speeds and all was normal.

Reminder to self and friends: Basics, basics, basics. Maintain good riding habits. Live a long time. Ride far and often. Enjoy the breeze. And don't follow too closely.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

It is amazing that you didn't crash or lay down the bike. Someone above was looking out for you.

SHITttakki! Glad you are unscathed. It is pretty wild how the clock slows down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Did you have a clean pair of skivies to change into when you pulled over...Holy cow
    Chrome is like cleavage, You can never have too much...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    It is amazing that you didn't crash or lay down the bike. Someone above was looking out for you.
    You are right on both counts.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

BT45R 130/70-18

Way to go, good for you, and I know all about those forever seconds, just 5 weeks ago my F totaled, and seeing my F ride by itself for approx 50 ft and fall over as I was doing the tuck and roll and wondering why my F took of without me.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    Way to go, good for you, and I know all about those forever seconds, just 5 weeks ago my F totaled, and seeing my F ride by itself for approx 50 ft and fall over as I was doing the tuck and roll and wondering why my F took of without me.
    Forever seconds is a good description. MAN. I'm glad to hear you are still with us!

BT45R 130/70-18

Did you have dirt bike experience!

I always said the good riders started on dirt bikes, I had 4 dirt bikes before I ever bought a road bike. The dirt bikes teach you what a bike will do and what they won't do. The experience feathers right into your longevity on a road machine. That was an impressive display of doing the only thing that was going to get you thru that. It could have been a lot worse without the experience. Thank the Lord you made it thru.

I only wish I was the guy behind you to see it!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

WOW

First, I'm glad you survived the near radical getoff, second please tell me you had your go-pro capturing all this.

All kidding aside, stay safe and may God Bless,
    Roaddog