Considering a '13 F6B…tomorrow...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Considering a '13 F6B…tomorrow...

Considering a '13 F6B…tomorrow...

Greetings.

Current 2004 VStar 1100 rider. Pleased with the bike, but as middle-weight short distance cruiser, I have pushed it to its limits. I am ready for more wind protection, a stereo system, a quieter and more comfortable ride, and a smoother engine than the VTwin. I ride to work 50 times per year, 75 mile round trip, on mostly low-traffic rural roads. I often take a 500+ mile trip once per year, and several shorter cruises. I have put 5,100 miles on my Vstar this year alone.

There are some sweet deals around on leftover '13s. I know the reason is mainly that the first two model years do not have cruise. After much consideration, I believe I am okay without cruise. The only time I would use it would be on my longer trips, probably not often on my trip to work due to the nature of the roads I take. This is also the case on many trips I take locally. Rarely am I on interstates.

I have some offers on the table right now that are gonna be hard to turn down tomorrow when dealerships re-open. I have a new snowmobile on order, making this not necessarily the best time to make a deal financially, but I think I gotta do it with prices and interest rates the way they are. I'll figure out the details later.

Before I do this, is there anything I need to know before pulling the trigger? I expect to have to put a taller screen on the bike, and have already checked out a KlockWerks screen. I will also likely have the dealer install a 12 V receptacle in the weather proof storage compartment on the fairing so I can play music/Podcasts and charge my phone at the same time.

How is the maintenance schedule? How long do tires last? How is the stock seat on longer trips? I have sat on three separate machines and it seems very comfortable and the riding position seems to be a good fit for my 6'1", 225 lb frame.

I guess I am looking for as much real world information as I can before making a decision, as I have done as much research as I can on the bike, without riding or owning one (I do plan to ride one before a final decision!)

One more thing…there is also a leftover 2014 Cross Country Tour in the area. Dealer willing to let it go cheap, but it is still about $1500 higher than the F6B as they are more expensive bikes.

The advantages the XCT offer is more storage (room for a helmet on board), bigger stock screen, better passenger accommodations, and a better set up for playing my iPhone. I also prefer the floorboards of the XCT vs. the pegs of the F6B.

The biggest thing working against the XCT - its air cooled 1700cc Vtwin motor…

The Victory guys swear by them, but the twins get fatiguing after awhile, especially in traffic and I want smoothness, not vibration. I have no desire for the "raw" experience that many H-D wannabes are longing for...

I had a 2011 Victory Vision. Build quality is lacking. That's why I got rid of it.

Sounds like you've done your homework on the F6B.

I went back to Honda because I got tired of wrenching on my bikes (instead of riding) and I wanted that inherent Honda reliability again. Wasn't getting it with Victory. Failed inner seal TWICE on the front drive sprocket @ 20K miles... and Victory's warranty refused to cover it.

I'm not diss'ing Victory motorcycles per say; but the Honda F6B is a better bike.

No drive belt to change out @ every 30K (Unlike Victory).
    No front shock oil to change out @ every 15K (Unlike Victory)
    Body panel fit is FAR SUPERIOR (Unlike Victory)
    The F6B is assembled properly (Unlike Victory with crushed electrical wires under brake line clamps)
    No dissimilar metal corrosion on fasteners (Unlike Victory)

You may need a new seat if you plan on keeping your buttocks planted in the saddle for longer than 3 hours at a time; with the stock Honda OEM seat. I do get butt burn after awhile. Nothing that can't be worked out. very common for OEM seats anyway.

Cons about the F6B:

1. You practically have to disassemble the bike to get to the air filter

Personally; that is all that bugs me about the F6B. Everything else is a piece of cake; regarding maintenance.

All of us (more likely you as well) do things to a bike to make it your own. There's a huge aftermarket out there for F6B parts and accessories. Many of us have gone to taller windshields, highway pegs, different seats; etc... to make it a custom fit.

Depending on the make of a helmet; a F/F helmet can actually fit in a F6B's saddlebag.

The Honda 1832cc engine is smooth and has a lot of torque. it's not geared tall. There is nothing quite like it. I thought that I would never get to the point where I would've gone to a Gold Wing derivative...but I have and I don't regret it a bit.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I had no real issues with the two Victory's I have owned..A 2008 Kingpin Tour and a 2011 Vision Tour...The Vision was perhaps, in my opinion, the best and most comfortable road/touring bike I have had...I might seriously consider another Victory, or Indian Scout down the road, as they are both lighter than the F6B and I am fast approaching 76 yrs old and may want a lighter bike ....But, for now, the F6B is a terrific ride and does everything I want it to do..Smooth, fast, handles super, great wind protection, and decent radio, etc. The stock seat is fine for most, but I switched to a lower Mustang seat as I am shorter...The stock windscreen "sucks" as most have replaced it soon after purchase..but for the money it is hard to find a bike that can compete with the F6B...I do like the new Victory Cross Roads 8-ball model with fairing and blacked out looks, but after demo riding one it does not compare in most areas to the Honda...I would not let the air-filter issue affect my decision, as it only needs to be changed, in reality, every 20/30 thousand miles depending on where you live..I have a K&N in mine and have seen several similar bikes go 30/35 with this unit...Floorboards on the Victory's are nice, but I have no issues with the pegs on the F6B....Tire wear from what I have read is decent if you keep them inflated at about 39/40 front and 40 psi rear...No other maintenance issues that require special attention...If you go with the F6B, make sure the dealer checks the rear drive fluid on delivery as some have reported low gear oil issues from the factory..I have a 2013 Deluxe and it was fine as the dealer re-checks all fluid levels at delivery...Good luck and ride safe

Thanks for the info so far. I have already learned something; never new about the air filter. I live outside Rochester, NY, so air filters never get plugged up here except on lawnmowers. My Yammi requires a PhD from MIT to change the oil filter, which has many more maintenance intervals than the air filter. The solution I have is for someone else to do it . I don't work much on my bikes, other than adding some accessories that are pretty easy to do. (I added the Memphis Shades windshield to mine).

The biggest thing for me, and what displaced the Cross Country Tour from #1 on my list a couple of months ago (came VERY close to pulling the trigger on one in August), is the engine. The Honda does not have all of the features that the CCT has, but the engine, IMO, makes up for it. What sealed the deal was when I read how the Honda fires up smoothly and engages first gear with a "click" rather than a "CLANK" like the traditional cruisers do. I like smoothness, quietness and comfort.

There is a STEAL of a deal on the table right now on '13 standard model…not sure about the other dealer who has the '13 Deluxe. Is there anything you guys can tell me about making the decision between the two models? Could be $1500+ difference depending upon how willing the dealer with the Deluxe is ...

Difference between the F6B Standard and the Deluxe... the Standard does not have cruise control or a center stand (as well as grip heaters - I believe).

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I too could not pass up the incredible price on the 13. I've never had CC on a bike except for a CAT O-ring on one. kinda worked.
    There are a ton of windshields available, links on the F6B homepage.
    I found a center-stand, new pull from trike conversion, on ebay for ~$65, needed a few screws for the install.
    Coming from the world of ST1300 the thought of taking the bike apart for the air filter is par for the course.
    The tall windshield makes the sound system more audible, the bike is a gas to ride. It's not very sporty, but that's a positive as I try to avoid tickets.
    It's stable as hell at speed and easy to move around with your feet when parking, nice and low center of gravity and low seat.
    When I'm not on it all I want to do is go ride it. Trying to think of an excuse to go somewhere right now....

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Difference between the F6B Standard and the Deluxe... the Standard does not have cruise control or a center stand (as well as grip heaters - I believe).
    Thanks, yeah, I know the Deluxe has some more features…but…are hand grips, a backrest, a center stand, and self-canceling turn signals worth $1000?

I see the gentleman above noted that a center stand is easy to install and often cheap to buy used.

The only things that interest me in the Deluxe package is the backrest and grip warmers. The backrest mainly for securing cargo on an aftermarket rack!

I had my heart set on a bike with cruise until about two weeks ago when a friend asked me, "well, on your current bike, how often would you use it?" Ummm…not on the way to work or home; not on the state highways and county roads I often ride; not over to my parents' house on the lake…ummm…maybe a few times on a trip I took this summer?!?

There are options for CC as well…for the rare times I use it. As mentioned, I don't often find myself on roads that are conducive to CC.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks, yeah, I know the Deluxe has some more features…but…are hand grips, a backrest, a center stand, and self-canceling turn signals worth $1000?
    Yes. If you are prone to using them.

I went for the Deluxe model; for the hand warmers and the Center stand and cruise control. They are nice amenities and will cost you more later; if you try to install them (unless you do it yourself). Buy once, cry once.

The backrest is a plus... makes it easy to strap things down; in conjunction with the passenger grab rails (or a rack as you have mentioned - I have one as well).

I don't particularly care for the self cancelling turn signals though... sometimes they will cancel before I want them to... at speed.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yes. If you are prone to using them.

I went for the Deluxe model; for the hand warmers and the Center stand and cruise control. They are nice amenities and will cost you more later; if you try to install them (unless you do it yourself). Buy once, cry once.

The backrest is a plus... makes it easy to strap things down; in conjunction with the passenger grab rails.

I don't particularly care for the self cancelling turn signals though... sometimes they will cancel before I want them to... at speed.
    +2..makes resale better also
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com