Need feedback - Kuryakyn LED lights for the rear - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need feedback - Kuryakyn LED lights for the rear

I haven't posted a picture as of yet; but I did file a small notch in the bottom of the center black fender piece; the lead wire now is no longer pinched as the Kuryakyn rear LED fendertip housing is installed on the fender.

Am hoping to get all three pieces installed tomorrow or Thursday (with pictures) if the forecast temperatures of 70 degree's are realized... I need it to be warmer in order for the 3M adhesive backing tape to cure properly.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Warming up a little today; so am seeing if I can get these lights installed.

Here is the small groove I filed in the edge of the fender. Looks huge in the picture; but in actuality it is not. Also filed a groove in the inside lip of the fender as well:

It looks messy; but is not. That area is the inside lip of the center fender. Can't see it unless you get underneath and look:

I will be popping off the entire black center fender next; for two things.

1. To clean inside of the fender; where I am going to affix protection for the lead wire.
    2. To add a little more 3m double sided tape to the top inside of the center Kuryakyn LED light mount. They affixed tape already to it; but it's not making enough contact with the black fender. It needs to be a wee bit more thicker

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

poor 3m tape location

I also add more 3M tape to better anchor the LED to fender, poor contact to fender

So this is the center panel removed. Easy peasy - two screws up under the turn signal lenses; and two screws at the lower outer edges of the fender panel. Sucker then pops right off.
    You can see the OEM connector (red arrow) that you are going to separate; to install the Kuryakyn adapter:

The Kuryakyn adapter (red arrow) you have to buy separately. The good news is that you only need one; for as many lights as you could possibly hook up. If you buy the Kuryakyn set of vertical lights; you get a 3 connector pigtail in the package (already connected to the Kuryakyn adapter)(blue arrow). If you're just doing the center Kuryakyn LED light; you get the 2 connector pigtail with the package.

Here you can see the OEM connector disconnected (red arrows) and the Kuryakyn adapter installed. Looks best to place the wire bundles/connectors in this manner.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Brilliant Will

Great post Will, and again, Im doing the same but with only the center fender tip.
    I will follow this accuratly for my install.
    Good on you.
    Ken
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Will
    You have the Whelens mounted...how/where did you wire those into?

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Will
    You have the Whelens mounted...how/where did you wire those into?
    Those are not Whelens. Those are a pair of 16 LED Hyperlites. I wired them in to the brake lights with Posi-Taps; behind the OEM brake light housing.

http://www.hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

I wanted to leave at least one passive reflector on the rear of the bike; so the OEM reflector under the license plate light will stay native.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Not sure I like these... not really feeling... jazzed

So I just finished installing the Kuryakyn rear LED lights... hardest part was just trying to hide the connectors behind the top part of the center fender... lot of connectors and wires; especially with my additional wiring for the Hyperlites:

They sort of look better off; than on with the rear of the Silver matte:

Definitely light up the rear of the bike though.... good for this time of year with the days being so short.

maybe these will grow on me. I pretty much crossed the Rubicon when I installed the side ones... that adhesive is fairly permanent.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    So I just finished installing the Kuryakyn rear LED lights... hardest part was just trying to hide the connectors behind the top part of the center fender... lot of connectors and wires; especially with my additional wiring for the Hyperlites:

They sort of look better off; than on with the rear of the Silver matte:

Definitely light up the rear of the bike though.... good for this time of year with the days being so short.

maybe these will grow on me. I pretty much crossed the Rubicon when I installed the side ones... that adhesive is fairly permanent.
    What lights are those on each side of the reflector above the license tag?

Thanks
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    What lights are those on each side of the reflector above the license tag?

Thanks
    16 LED Hyperltes (running/flashing hi intensity brake lights). They are EXTREMELY bright and noticeable... even someone looking down while texting is going to look up.

Here's a video of another Wing with them mounted... so you can see their performance:

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537