New helmet = ear plugs

Thread: New helmet = ear plugs

New helmet = ear plugs

Bought a new half helmet like I had before my accident. I wear ear plugs with it mainly because of the noise from wind over my ears. Kind of hard to hear the radio unless I turn it up to 20. Before it was fine at 10-12. I have a Hondaline tall windshield with about 2" cut off the top. Any thoughts? Wondering if I would feel like I need ear plugs with a Madstad shield?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

I wear a half helmet and wore ear plugs due to wind noise until I added the Madstad screen. I was cranking the radio to 30 when wearing the ear plugs. With the Madstad my volume is 12-17 depending on mood. No wind noise in ears.
    Get the Madstad and you'll hear brakes and other strange noises.

Hard to tell. I have the Madstad and rarely ride w/o a helmet and or ear plugs. I use ear buds to listen to music or my Schuberth. If you are blocking some of your hearing with any type of plug, unless that is where the music is coming from the volume will have to be louder.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Bought a new half helmet like I had before my accident. I wear ear plugs with it mainly because of the noise from wind over my ears. Kind of hard to hear the radio unless I turn it up to 20. Before it was fine at 10-12. I have a Hondaline tall windshield with about 2" cut off the top. Any thoughts? Wondering if I would feel like I need ear plugs with a Madstad shield?
    I have them both and currently use the madstad. The radio to me seemed the same for sound level. I did switch from a half helmet to a bell Mag-9 for the same reason of the wind in the ears. Best move I have made yet next to buying the F6B. If you have not at least tried this type of helmet you should. You can still hear every sound the same as a half helmet but no more wind in the ears.
    Also I found you can control how much wind you want around your head and shoulders by a simple adjustment of the angle of the madstad.
    hope this helps

With my Madstad and half helmet I rarely go above 15 on radio and 13 on the USB. The Madstad helps a lot.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool EXO 100

I've just bought myself one of these. Tried it out at the weekend with ear plugs, and I cold hear the MP3 tracks well enough around the 14 mark. I have an 11' Cee Baileys screen.

Attachment 17237
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"