Dark Side and Honda Warranty
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side and Honda Warranty

Dark Side and Honda Warranty

I've heard the stories about insurance companies denying claims/coverage if one runs a dark side...and I recently totaled out a Valk Interstate with a dark side tire. Nothing was said about the tire.
    But I've recently heard a person claim a dealer/Mother Honda could void a warranty if a dark side tire is put on. Is this just more from the rumor mill or is it legit?
    I read somewhere that an F6b rim actuslly has the same designation as a car rim. If that's true, I don't see how one could void a factory warranty by going Darkside.
    Thoughts? Thanks
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    I've heard the stories about insurance companies denying claims/coverage if one runs a dark side...and I recently totaled out a Valk Interstate with a dark side tire. Nothing was said about the tire.
    But I've recently heard a person claim a dealer/Mother Honda could void a warranty if a dark side tire is put on. Is this just more from the rumor mill or is it legit?
    I read somewhere that an F6b rim actuslly has the same designation as a car rim. If that's true, I don't see how one could void a factory warranty by going Darkside.
    Thoughts? Thanks
    There is actually a difference between a Auto Rim and a Cycle Rim in the bead area! Can't recall the details but if you do some research you'll get the info. That said, I'm a Double Dark Sider with a G-Max on the rear and a Battlax BT-45 on the front.

Over the years I've heard my fair share of purported facts from the rumor mill and usually get a good chuckle from most. If the dealer is going to refuse warranty work based on ones use of a CT, they would have to do the same for any Wing/F6B with a trailer hitch or using anything other than OEM products/parts i.e. brake pads, oil filters, air filters etc.

Residing in Pa., I have a yearly Vehicle/Motorcycle inspection. I keep a copy of the entire Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bags! I have "high-lighted" the portion of the inspection guidance which "clearly states" that the cycle be equipped with a "DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approved Rim"! All of my installed tires are, in fact, DOT Approved and my F6B Rims are embossed with DOT Approval. There is nothing in the inspection criterion which specifies a rim must be MC!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    There is actually a difference between a Auto Rim and a Cycle Rim in the bead area! Can't recall the details but if you do some research you'll get the info. That said, I'm a Double Dark Sider with a G-Max on the rear and a Battlax BT-45 on the front.

Over the years I've heard my fair share of purported facts from the rumor mill and usually get a good chuckle from most. If the dealer is going to refuse warranty work based on ones use of a CT, they would have to do the same for any Wing/F6B with a trailer hitch or using anything other than OEM products/parts i.e. brake pads, oil filters, air filters etc.

Residing in Pa., I have a yearly Vehicle/Motorcycle inspection. I keep a copy of the entire Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bags! I have "high-lighted" the portion of the inspection guidance which "clearly states" that the cycle be equipped with a "DOT Approved Tire on a DOT Approved Rim"! All of my installed tires are, in fact, DOT Approved and my F6B Rims are embossed with DOT Approval. There is nothing in the inspection criterion which specifies a rim must be MC!
    Thanks for your thoughts/findings, Bob. I was running a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my Valk Interstate and loved it. I was long past my warranty period when I installed it however so that was no issue. Now that I have a brand new B..I want to go Darkside again, probably with the Michelin Alpin as soon as the B's rear tire wears out.

I've yet to hear of anyone ever crashing due to the fault of a Darkside tire. I have heard of many that have crashed when their MC tire suddenly went flat(in some cases due to the OEM valve stem giving out).

Thanks!

Exactly what are you worrying about with the F6B regarding warranty; if you run a car tire?

A car tire is not going to make the F6B blow up or catch on fire. Or malfunction. Or break. Or prematurely wear out a part.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Exactly what are you worrying about with the F6B regarding warranty; if you run a car tire?

A car tire is not going to make the F6B blow up or catch on fire. Or malfunction. Or break. Or prematurely wear out a part.
    For the same reasons that a dealer usually won't mount a car tire for you, I was asking IF they could revoke a warranty based on the bike having been modded in this way.

I myself am not concerned about a car tire as I've run one with my Valk Interstate. It's more a legalise question on IF the dealer can do that.

I couldn't agree with your statement more that a car tire "shouldn't" affect a warranty.

Thanks,

It's a risk.

I don't care one way or another what kind of tire anyone uses, but you should know that the standard bead dimensions are totally different between a car rim and motorcycle rim. What any decent lawyer will make of that is that by mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim you are not using a product designed to the standard the manufacturer is designing their products to, and therefore they can void the warranty if the tire has any involvement in the warranty claim. It may not matter for an engine issue, or transmission, but you might have a hard time in an accident situation if there is any "traction" issue. Manufacturers generally have the right to nullify a warranty if products (like an aftermarket oil filter) used with their product (the engine) do not materially meet the specifications they have set. It doesn't have to be exact, but there has to be a reasonably conformance to the specifications. In any event, fighting them on a warranty issue can be a real PITA.

I just hate the "Flaming Death Senerio"
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    I don't care one way or another what kind of tire anyone uses, but you should know that the standard bead dimensions are totally different between a car rim and motorcycle rim. What any decent lawyer will make of that is that by mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim you are not using a product designed to the standard the manufacturer is designing their products to, and therefore they can void the warranty if the tire has any involvement in the warranty claim. It may not matter for an engine issue, or transmission, but you might have a hard time in an accident situation if there is any "traction" issue. Manufacturers generally have the right to nullify a warranty if products (like an aftermarket oil filter) used with their product (the engine) do not materially meet the specifications they have set. It doesn't have to be exact, but there has to be a reasonably conformance to the specifications. In any event, fighting them on a warranty issue can be a real PITA.
    Thanks, Travelor. This is the kind of post that does make sense from a legalise point of view. While I am sure I'll go to a darkside tire with the B, it throws further fuel on the fire on whether one should wait till the warranty is up. I probably won't but....

Deer Slayer, I'm with you on hating the Flaming Death scenario preachings. I had just that argument at my local dealer about 6 months back with their salesman.

They (insurance companies and Honda) absolutely could use any excuse to avoid paying any claim or warranty. Don't know that they would or have any reason to even look but THEY COULD. Even pulling a trailer is an excuse not to pay. I guess the best way to look at it is to think how you would NOT have to pay a claim if it was a suspect claim...
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Here is more than you will ever want to know with pic about the differences between Ct and a MC rim & tire construction with a whole lot more thrown in. This guy went to a lot of time and effort to do this and is a good read. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...-rim-tire.html
    I have been a darksider on all my other steel steeds at one time or another and probably will be again on my F6B and now after reading the article a much more informed darksider about the construction of CT verses MC tires and their respective rims.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/