Dark Side and Honda Warranty - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Side and Honda Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Shooter

I think what is most important about our practice of Dark Siding is that we readily share our experiences with others. You, as a Tire Dealer/Installer are in a position to offer informative and first hand info on mounting/balancing etc. Your experience in that area is "priceless". Along with all the other actual first hand experiences of our DS Riders, a "treasure trove" of info begins to develop! Along with our Administrator and Moderators ability and diligence in consolidating that info in a specific Forum for Dark Siding that really is the "icing on the cake"! We are lucky to have a venue where we can discuss a topic which is oft avoided and scoffed at on other forms

Ride Safe

bob109
    I don't think I could have said it any better than what Shooter summed up. Thanks to all who've commented on this thread. Between Valkyries, Wings, and now F6bs, there are thousands of Darksiders, I'm sure, and I've never once heard of a car tire coming unseated and losing pressure.

I personally know a friend and his wife who were both hurt with broken bones when their rear tire suddenly went flat and he lost control. This rider had over 100k miles of riding experience. Btw, he was running an Avon Cobra, one of the more popular motorcycle tires.

Ride Safe,
    wiggy
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Shooter

I'm flattered by you kind comment of me being a pioneer in the Dark Side Arena, but that is far from the fact/truth. I'm actually a product of a man named "Daniel Meyer". He is the one who is truly the Pioneer in/of the use of CT's on motorcycles. I'm sure there were others, but Mr. Meyer was one of, if not the first, to publish a book on the Dark Side Experience. He now has several books under the title of "Life Is a Road" and they are some of the most informative works of the DS I've read/encountered. A Engineer, pilot and author, his background supports his findings/observations with relevance and humor. If someone is interested in the art/practice of Dark Siding, Meyer's works are a "must read" IMHO. I'm attaching a source for his works!

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...WU3gsQQyKiW28-
    Good read.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    And I'm telling you guys that in the real world the CT does not fit the Goldwing rim like in that picture. I mount all my own tires and as of now I have a G-Max and an Alpin mounted up and that large bead area in that picture sticking up along that edge is not present on my tires.
    My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?

No gap here:

Do the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

The Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?

No gap here:

Do the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?
    Your question is very valid and IMHO will go unanswered until someone is "bold enough" too take a car tire mounted to a cycle rim, aired up to 40+PSI and subject it to a CT Scan at some Clinic or Medical Facility. That would definitely provide "proof positive" by giving a "cross sectioned view" of a "inflated" tire/rim fitting. Hopefully, amongst all the DS Riders, we have someone who will answer that question. Unfortunate as it may be, the cross sectioned pics provided to date are not truly reflective of a "inflated tire" The original author of the article surely deserves credit for his efforts in "sectioning" both a donor tire/rim. Without evidence of inflation there's some additional research to be done

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    My honest curiosity (and my main concern) is of what one cannot see; once the car tire is mounted onto the motorcycle wheel. Does the lower foot of the tire bead; seat firmly between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange... with no gap?No gap here:Do the current car tires that some of you are running; present a snug fit between the wheel's bead hump and the side of the wheel's bead flange?
    Will,The steel belts and air pressure will keep the tire seated where it belongs. IMO the amount of CT side wall/bead making contact has been proven over and over to be more then enough to keep the tire in place.

Side wall strength concerns .....Just remember that most CT's are designed and built for much more weight and stress.
    My current CT on my 4 wheeler is rated to a maximum of 1,521 lbsOur Rear Bridgestone G704 is rated to a maximum of 827 lbs.

When you place a CT on a Bike like the F6B, don't forget that you are distributing the weight of the bike between the 2 tires, the CT is lucky to be holding 750 lbs of weight (F6B=900 +2 healthy passengers=600 ---> 1,500 lbs). The side walls are designed to handle much higher weight, abuse and stress on a 4 wheeler then they will ever encounter on a motorcycle.

If you are able to rack up the miles .....CT's are definitely a great alternative.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

shooter

No gap here:

I can tell you that yes it is a very tight fit. I generally takes more than 20 lbs of air pressure to seat that bead on a CT on a GW rim. And when you break it down it takes considerable pressure to break the bead.

And I'm telling you guys that in the real world the CT does not fit the Goldwing rim like in that picture. I mount all my own tires and as of now I have a G-Max and an Alpin mounted up and that large bead area in that picture sticking up along that edge is not present on my tires. Don't know if the GW rim is different than other MC rims or not but the bead fits that rim good. And Wayne let me tell you something brother , don't ever believe what people tell you. There are a lot of haters out there and most of them are dumbass know-it-alls. They can't find their ass with both hands on a dark night but they are experts cause they read something or heard something. I would much rather listen to someone like Big Larry or Bob 109. These guys are pioneers. They have lived it. Through this forum and Bob I got started on Darkside and my experience has been great. I ride hard and mostly two up. Wife and I ride the curviest roads available in KY , AR , OH , and MO. I'm not the best rider out there by a long shot but I don't take a back seat to too many people. My B corners better than any big cruiser I've been around. My Dad taught me to always be a leader and never a follower. I feel like with my Alpin I have the best combination of durability and handling I've ever had on a MC. I like my CT. No body told me to say that. I came up with that on my own.
    I know and respect your opinion and your experience, and you know that. Big Larry has earned my attention since I've been part of this forum. For me, this is one of those areas that can go either way, but I prefer to stick with what engineers have decided, and I'll pay the price for the motorcycle tire, even if it means two a season. I never heard of any car tire bad experience. I know what I saw right in front of me on a day long ride with a guy with one on his 9. He swears by it as everyone else. I'm not a risk taker. Never have been. I make my own decisions, do what I want at this stage of my life. Guess what I'm saying is that this is an area that I can't get away from. It's not a big issue, everyone does what they're comfortable with and I don't have a problem with it. I'm for a motorcycle tire as much as you're for a CT, and that's ok. Be careful and ride safe....that's the most important thing.

shooter
    You're right Wayne. There is no good or bad in this area. Everyone should do what they feel is right cause safety is the primary issue. I would never do something that made me feel uncomfortable just cause someone said I should. Above all I respect others decisions about their safety and well being. There are just so many myths and untruths about the CT thing. A lot of them are perpetrated by people that have never tried it. Its a personal decision.

You're right Wayne. There is no good or bad in this area. Everyone should do what they feel is right cause safety is the primary issue. I would never do something that made me feel uncomfortable just cause someone said I should. Above all I respect others decisions about their safety and well being. There are just so many myths and untruths about the CT thing. A lot of them are perpetrated by people that have never tried it. Its a personal decision.
    +1

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Maybe...

...I will try a C/T still on my F6B. There's some testimony here that addresses my only concern about them; of the bead lock on the rim.

The naysayers once said; that if man was meant to fly; he would have been given wings.

We all know how that turned out.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537