Western North Carolina Mountains - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Western North Carolina Mountains

Big Dawg,

I hope you're going back to western North Carolina and that I can join you yet this year. I generally go back there twice a year, stay in Bryson City area, but haven't been at all this year, and am jonesing for an excuse to go. Thinking I might go during the week, just to minimize traffic and leafpeepers...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13
    Darkside #975
    Michelin Primacy Alpin RF 195/55R/16, 32#
    front Bridgestone G709, 36#

GaTeach
    Jimmy,
    I'm riding to Maryville, TN today to visit a friend and I CANNOT wait to practice some of the tools you've given me.

I had been having trouble with my right shoulder and when I got home Saturday night after a 300 mile ride in the mountains, I was waiting for it. But it never happened!

I'm pretty sure the technique with my hand positioning had something to do with that.

(That and I've gotten in a really bad habit of riding everywhere with one hand and that ride was certainly not conducive to one-handed riding!!!!)

I'm going to move my right side Gremlin bell before I take off. I don't want to lose it!!!

Your riding a Goldwing, we don't get gremlins! Bike is so fast and slick they can't hang on!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

GaTeach
    Attachment 17349

Attachment 17350

This is hanging at the bottom corner of my right side crash bar.

And it sounds so cool dragging on the pavement!!!

Congrats Teach on riding with Big Dawg and friends . I sure hated to miss that ride myself but life has gotten a bit more complicated for me recently. Anyway, this is most certainly a sure-fire way to improve your riding skills. Maybe it's just me but there does seem to be a suggestion from some that Jimmy is a dangerous rider that can lead others to their doom. Just for the record, let me say unequivocally it's my opinion that anyone crashing while following Jimmy has only themselves to blame. Jimmy is ALWAYS careful to admonish anyone in his group to ride at their own pace. For anyone not able to keep up, the group always waits at the next turn or intersection for those lagging behind to catch up. I've never heard Jimmy say to a straggler that they're riding too slow and they need to speed up. Over the past couple of years, Big Dawg has given me several riding tips to help me ride faster and safer. This was something that I wanted and it has made riding so much more enjoyable for me so I, for one, really appreciate Jimmy for that. I may go down one of these days following my good friend Jimmy, but I can guarantee I won't be placing the blame on him. I, we, are responsible for our own actions and that, as they say, is the name of that tune.
    Ken (Hornblower)

GaTeach
    He mentioned riding with you several times Ken.

And yes, they waited for me at the stop signs. Lol. I think they got off the bikes, took off their gear, had a cigar, told some fishing tales, put their gear back on, and then I showed up.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Maybe it's just me but there does seem to be a suggestion from some that Jimmy is a dangerous rider that can lead others to their doom. Just for the record, let me say unequivocally it's my opinion that anyone crashing while following Jimmy has only themselves to blame.
    Ken, where on this forum has that suggestion been made?

Jimmy's skill level is admirable.

How we coordinate our Rally rides for everyones enjoyment and safety regardless if they are apprentice riders or highly skilled riders is another topic.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Tony--Hopefully not contributing to further controversy, but my comment was based on a larger scope, even beyond this forum, where I felt Big Dawg was being unfairly criticized. As a result, I felt compelled to express an opinion. Can we leave it at that?
    Ken (Hornblower)

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Tony--Hopefully not contributing to further controversy, but my comment was based on a larger scope, even beyond this forum, where I felt Big Dawg was being unfairly criticized. As a result, I felt compelled to express an opinion. Can we leave it at that?

Ken, no where on this post did anyone criticize, humor was the intent.

Being accused of something that I did not do like it was implied is something that I don't take lightly.

No need to continue, let's move on and enjoy the day. Glad to read that everyone had a great time.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.