Zero motorcycle test ride report

Thread: Zero motorcycle test ride report

Zero motorcycle test ride report

are not familiar with the name, Zero makes electric motorcycles
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com

Pros
    -Amazing acceleration and power. It pushed me backward in the seat easily and I was not even close to full throttle
    -Great handling, easy to maneuver, very, very smooth, great ride
    -Range 150 miles
    -Battery warrantee: 5yrs, 100,000 miles
    -Anticipated battery life of 300,000 miles
    -No gears (could be plus or minus)
    -Almost no maintenance – drive belts at 25,000 mile increments
    -Nothing but a whirling noise (could be plus or minus)

Cons
    -Small frame, short wheel base
    -Battery charge good for only 150 miles-no long trips
    -Body position was leaning forward too much putting too much weight on hands. Hands were uncomfortable after a 10-minute test ride.
    -Very expensive to replace batteries if they crap out after warrantee. $8000

Conclusion: Current design is a no go for me, but if Zero were to come out with a bigger frame, longer wheel base with a more vertical body position, I would not hesitate to buy.

I've followed them for sometime. I could see having an electric bike at some point. Great performance, very low maintenance. I don't ride on long trips, so even the 150 mile range might work for me. But I prefer riding a bigger, more comfortable bike, like the F6B. I think it will be a while before we see a big electric cruiser. But with battery prices falling, who knows. I'd like to see Honda get into the game. Heck, I'd buy an electric F6B. But I'm likely in the minority. The next few years will be interesting in this area.

Big Electric Bike

They aren't to far away as the battery technology is jumping forward in leaps and bounds. Even our Meijers Grocery store here in Cadillac, Michigan has put in an electric vehicle recharging station in their parking lot. But the technology has to come up more than it has. Even firemen are scared to mess with a crash electric vehicle for fear it might just light up their life.

The F6B is my gas guzzler. My car is a Chevy Volt. 43 mpg on gas after the 40 miles electric range runs out. It's only got (or needs) a 9 gallon tank. I put 4 or 5 gallons in it every couple of months. I use more gas in the F6B.

Now for the burning question, could the electric engine be the replacement for the flat 6 now in the F6B? It is smoother, accelerates faster, burns no gas and doesn't need a clutch. Draw back, distance on charges. Wing riders are clamoring for an up grade from the original flat engine with shaft drive.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Honda certainly has the technology to engineer a hybrid - powerful electric motors with a small range extender engine. Could be quite a machine on the GW. You've got to know they have designs.

And here it is, the Chinese electric Goldwing