Bobby, here is an additional idea. ( I have used the Kuryakyn cubby lid...painted black...for the past 12k miles, and I like it, but...it can be improved on, as the cup holder area is too small, and only a limited number of cup can fit in there)

Go with your idea of using the OEM lid cover...find a drinking cup that you really like and will use...cut the lid to fit the drinking cup, and then also find a foam can cooler...the kind that was popular at every convenience store and truck stop 10 years ago, they are still available, you just have to look for them today. Use an insulated foam can cooler that you slide your drink cup, or can of beer/soda, etc into, and place that down into the cubby hole, then place the cubby lid on top of that, and squish the cubby lid down ONTO the foam can coller, to hold the foam can cooler in place.

They do make those foam can coolers in slightly different heights and diameters. Find a taller and larger one, such so that when the cubby lid is placed on TOP of the foam can cooler, it pushes down onto the foam can cooler, and sorta locks it into place. A person could...if they wanted to...also glue the top rim of the foam can cooler to the bottom of the cubby lid, to that it holds a tight seal, but I do not think that is necessary.

My only problem with the Kuryakyn cubby lid is that the drink holder hole is too small, and after finally finsing a decent drinking cup that will work for me, it is still too tight to fit into the rubber holders of the Kuryakyn cubby lid. I make it work, and I could just be satisfied with it...BUT...like you and Steve, I am never quite satisfied, until it is right.