Where should I store my VStar?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where should I store my VStar?

Where should I store my VStar?

I unexpectedly bought the F6B two weeks ago; wasn't planning on it till Spring. Now I have two bikes in the garage, and my car is outside. There is room for both cars and one bike in the 20x20 garage, but not two bikes, two cars. I need a place to put my beloved 2004 VStar till I reluctantly sell it in the Spring. I have a storage shed out back where I keep my mowers and lawn equipment, but it does have mice (though they've never harmed anything out there but a pair of gloves).I can put it in there but am worried about rodents. I can put it in my friends garage but he lives 40 miles away, so I would have to tow it there, or ride it there and have my wife come get me. What a pain. Should I just put in the shed, pull the battery, squirt some oil in the cylinders and not think about it till April?

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I unexpectedly bought the F6B two weeks ago; wasn't planning on it till Spring. Now I have two bikes in the garage, and my car is outside. There is room for both cars and one bike in the 20x20 garage, but not two bikes, two cars. I need a place to put my beloved 2004 VStar till I reluctantly sell it in the Spring. I have a storage shed out back where I keep my mowers and lawn equipment, but it does have mice (though they've never harmed anything out there but a pair of gloves).I can put it in there but am worried about rodents. I can put it in my friends garage but he lives 40 miles away, so I would have to tow it there, or ride it there and have my wife come get me. What a pain. Should I just put in the shed, pull the battery, squirt some oil in the cylinders and not think about it till April?
    Your call, but I would leave one of the cars outside...I live in Michigan where it gets really cold and nasty at times in the winter, and in over 40 years in the same house, and raising five kids, have never put a car in the garage and never had any issues with rust, battery, or anything more serious than frozen wiper blades stuck to the windshield at times.....Been through over 15 cars and 18 motorcycles in that time...Good luck....

Rent a storage unit for the winter. Should not cost much for one that is the size of your V Star. Make sure to either drain the fluid or use Stabil 360 in the fuel. It will help keep the fuel from degrading and also keeps the tank from rusting. Make sure the coolant is up to snuff as far as it's ability to fight off the cold in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Your call, but I would leave one of the cars outside...I live in Michigan where it gets really cold and nasty at times in the winter, and in over 40 years in the same house, and raising five kids, have never put a car in the garage and never had any issues with rust, battery, or anything more serious than frozen wiper blades stuck to the windshield at times.....Been through over 15 cars and 18 motorcycles in that time...Good luck....
    Agree with this. Leave one of the cars outside. It's a no brainer.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    Rent a storage unit for the winter. Should not cost much for one that is the size of your V Star. Make sure to either drain the fluid or use Stabil 360 in the fuel. It will help keep the fuel from degrading and also keeps the tank from rusting. Make sure the coolant is up to snuff as far as it's ability to fight off the cold in your area.
    SeaFoam is better. Don't use Stabil. And don't drain the fuel. Top off the tank to keep condensation out of it; you will get swings in temperature that will cause condensation later...

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    SeaFoam is better. Don't use Stabil. And don't drain the fuel. Top off the tank to keep condensation out of it; you will get swings in temperature that will cause condensation later...
    I have had some issues with using Stabil in the past...Since I switched to SeaFoam in my bike, mowers, generator, etc. etc. no issues getting them going in the Spring....As said above, don't drain the tank on the bike, fill it up, start it to let a little fuel into the system, plug in a Battery Tender, cover with something that lets the paint breathe and leave alone until Spring.....JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I have had some issues with using Stabil in the past...Since I switched to SeaFoam in my bike, mowers, generator, etc. etc. no issues getting them going in the Spring....As said above, don't drain the tank on the bike, fill it up, start it to let a little fuel into the system, plug in a Battery Tender, cover with something that lets the paint breathe and leave alone until Spring.....JMHO
    I have witnessed Stabil forming crystals at the bottom of my fuel cans and gas tanks. I will not use it.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

In the neighbors garage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Put in the shed.
    They say that mice don't like moth balls, or Irish Spring soap cut into slices (shaved).
    I don't like kepting my cars outside either.

Drop the bike off at your friends and take your wife and buddy out to lunch