Buying my F6B this week! Flying in to ride back home. Questions...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying my F6B this week! Flying in to ride back home. Questions...

Question Buying my F6B this week! Flying in to ride back home. Questions...

First Post!

I'm just in the process of purchasing my mighty "B"! Should be an owner within 7 days!

So I found a NEW 2013 Std for less than I could find a used F6B in my area. I'm flying up for delivery and riding back to Florida. A lot of my route will have me on I-81 South through Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. That route is going to end up taking me about 12 hours over 2 days (6 hours each day). I was wondering if any of you have ever ridden on I-81 in that area, and if it's any better than just taking I-95 South all the way. I'm hoping to see a bit more hills and mountains on I-81 than I would on I-95 since I'm from the flat-lands of Florida. I'm hoping to enjoy the scenery, doing some photography, and avoid driving through Baltimore & DC's traffic. I will be doing this ride on a Saturday and Sunday if that matters.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by M_E_A_T View Post
    First Post!

I'm just in the process of purchasing my mighty "B"! Should be an owner within 7 days!

So I found a NEW 2013 Std for less than I could find a used F6B in my area. I'm flying up for delivery and riding back to Florida. A lot of my route will have me on I-81 South through Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. That route is going to end up taking me about 12 hours over 2 days (6 hours each day). I was wondering if any of you have ever ridden on I-81 in that area, and if it's any better than just taking I-95 South all the way. I'm hoping to see a bit more hills and mountains on I-81 than I would on I-95 since I'm from the flat-lands of Florida. I'm hoping to enjoy the scenery, doing some photography, and avoid driving through Baltimore & DC's traffic. I will be doing this ride on a Saturday and Sunday if that matters.

Thanks!
    Definitely do I-81 and avoid I-95.. hardly any construction on I-81; can't say that for I-95

You will find that there are a lot of truckers on I-81... but it's still better than I-95.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

First Post!

Thanks!
    Here's what I would like to ask you. How was the process of buying a bike out of state? I see a lot of good deals, but wonder how much of a hassle it would be to do what you're doing. From prices here, it could be well worth a trip. Stupid things like: how did you pay, register and insure? I wouldn't expect a long answer, but am very curious. I never did that!

Of course I can only comment about my situation....

So, for some personal reasons I needed to buy through American Honda (which means a new bike since they wont finance a used bike). American Honda Finance will not allow a borrower from out of state to "remotely" sign their loan docs, the buyer must do the signing in person. I even asked if I could sign at my local Honda dealer to have a witness, but they (AHFC) would not allow that.

Once I got to that point I had to determine if the cost to transport/fly was still below buying locally. In my case it was still about $1500 cheaper with the travel if I drove the bike home myself.

Driving the bike home:
    Shipping adds $500-$900 to the cost, so I chose to ride back to get the best bang for my buck.(driving could also be an upside too right?)

Sales Tax:
    The dealer out of state does NOT add sales tax to the bike since I will be paying sales tax when I register in my state. So, I will need to come out of pocket to register the bike which will end up being about $1000. Since it's after the sale at the dealer, it cannot be part of the loan amount.

Other than that - a very straightforward transaction. I did the pre-approval on the powersports.honda.com website, they give you an application number when you complete the online form. I provided that app number to my dealer out of state. He could then link my pre-approval to his sale on his system, and proceed accordingly. I need to provide proof of insurance and my Driver's License at signing. I'm flying to the closest airport, getting an UBER to the dealer, and signing and driving. The dealer is providing me with a temporary 30 day registration for my ride home. Other than that - that's it! I just have to register the bike when I get back to Florida to get my license plate.

If I could have done other financing from another lender, I could just mail a check for the balance of the bike to the dealer, and provide dealer with a notarized limited power of attorney, and they could have done it ALL remote without the need to travel.

Thanks!

Having just ridden from Connecticut to St Augustine and back last week for Biketoberfest, I will throw in my .02

I make the ride from CT to Fla every couple years and almost always take 84 to Scranton and run 81 down. As long as you are comfortable riding along with Big Trucks 81 will be a more scenic ride. I was an over the road driver many years ago so I am quite comfortable around them. But keep in mind the Trucks need to get a run at the big hills and will be hauling a$$ to get a run and then slowing down as the climb. Just try to stay out of their way as they are NOT just screwing with you it is what they need to do.

On the other hand,,, this time we came back up 95 the entire ride and had no issues. Very little construction, fairly smooth road surface and no traffic but less enjoyable ride.

Thanks...very good info here. I wonder how a sale of a used bike, person to person would be.....I'm not sure if I can go new or used at this point.

Thank you very much...I'll subscribe to this and save it.

I would love to buy one and ride it home too, but I live in New England and time is running out for that. I'm still waiting to settle an accident. My lawyer is dragging this out and killing me along with it..

First Post!

Thanks!
    Just completed my yearly trek from NE Pa. to Orange Lake Fl. I reside 6 miles from the I-81, I-84, I-380 juncture.
    Drove I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to A1A/301. From my driveway to the the RV Camp Ground 1096 miles. Drove straight through except for three 1 hour power naps and three bottles of 5 Hour Energy Drink. I love night driving as there is no sun to contend with and all the morons are safely in bed with their cell-phones turned off Driving my 38 ft motorhome with trailer/cycle in tow, I avoid the morning /evening rush hour traffic. Makes life easier

Driving Saturday and Sunday is a wise decisionIMHO

Here 's a tip when you get to the Scranton area. Take I-380 down to I-80 then west to I-81 It''ll save you going through all the construction and delays between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre on 81, not to mention 380 goes through mostly the scenic top of the Poconos Mts. Great colors right now, but the nights are in the 30's and the days are in the upper 40's to mid 50's. Dress warm!!!!
    I-81 is definitely the better of the 2 routes. Less congestion and all 4 lane highway Once you get below Harrisburg It'll start to warm up.
    I think your being way over optimistic in your time schedule. 2 years ago I rode from my home 20 miles south of Scranton in the Poconos, it took me 14 hours in the saddle just to get to Maggie Valley, NC. I could be mistaken but I kind of remember it being over 700 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
    Here 's a tip when you get to the Scranton area. Take I-380 down to I-80 then west to I-81 It''ll save you going through all the construction and delays between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre on 81, not to mention 380 goes through mostly the scenic top of the Poconos Mts. Great colors right now, but the nights are in the 30's and the days are in the upper 40's to mid 50's. Dress warm!!!!
    I-81 is definitely the better of the 2 routes. Once you get below Harrisburg It'll start to warm up.
    That sounds great! However, I will be starting out in the Harrisburg area so the Scranton/Wilkes-Barr area won't effect me I guess. Since I-81 is more mountainous terrain, does the weather tend to fluctuate more than along the I-95 route? I would prefer to avoid rain obviously if I can. I will also be making a final call on the day of after a weather check obviously. If I-95 looks clearer, I might decide to take that route, but my hope is to do I-81.

From Harrisburg it should only take you 11 hrs. to Maggie Valley. Remember too, your riding your new bike, is pushing it during the break in period a good idea? Take your time and vary the speeds. If you got the time stop in Maggie Valley and ride the Dragon or visit the bike museum.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weather difference between 95 and 81 as long as there's no front coming through. Your south of the real cold weather.