How do you clean bugs off your F6B?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean bugs off your F6B?

How do you clean bugs off your F6B?

I know I probably screwed up / but I was too busy this week to clean my bike. Plus I have been gone for 12 days and the wife would have killed me if I went out and played with my girlfriend as she says. (the truth hurts for her / we all know who our first love is "F6B hands down right") (I know you all will say I am whipped after this comment)

I rode to Panama City Beach 1700 miles round trip and got home late and did not clean the bugs off the bike. (a week went buy before I knew it) I tried to clean it yesterday and the bugs residue seem to be in the paint.

I normally just use water and my hand to remove debris when washing the bike. This followed by a hand towel dry usually get the bike clean. Once and a while after cleaning I put the recommended high end glass on it and let it bake in the sun. (I can't believe I am drawing a blank on the name of the ???Glass wipe on wax stuff) It just came to me Liquid Glass.

What do you use to clean the bugs off?
    Steve

I have several coats of Liquid Glass on my bike. I use the Liquid Glass Detail Spray to remove the bugs. They usually come off very easily.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

I hang a wet towel over them for an hour of more and then hand wash with mild detergent and low pressure water.
    Repeat if necessary.
    My favorite riding accessory is my LADY.
    I do not care how nice the bike is, I enjoy it more when she is with me.

I also use a wet hot towel. But I've been meaning to try Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water in a spray bottle. I've read more than a few times that
    this concoction will soften the bugs quickly and allow them to be easily wiped away. Some carry a spray bottle with them for gas stops.
    Do your Best and Miss the Rest!

I use RejeX as a base coat (can't get Liquid Glass in the PRK due to the commie pinko rat bastages) and then use Plexus to clean off the splat-matter.

FWIW, MadStad also recommends RejeX for their windshields:

"... ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online. ..."

Attachment 17515

Quote Originally Posted by Random one View Post
    I hang a wet towel over them for an hour of more and then hand wash with mild detergent and low pressure water.
    Repeat if necessary.
    Yep, been doing that for years especially on the shield. I always ask for more towels when doing motel stays just for that purpose. I like to get the towel wet with real hot water then soak for a few min, suicidal bugs come right off.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Them "love bugs" from Florida are just awful. They have been know to eat paint off. I tangled with them years ago on a trip down south on my Wing and a fellow rider that lives down there swears by the peroxide solution to clean them off. I have not been back to try and not sure I want to.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Yep, been doing that for years especially on the shield. I always ask for more towels when doing motel stays just for that purpose. I like to get the towel wet with real hot water then soak for a few min, suicidal bugs come right off.

I do the same. And I carry a can of Pledge in my saddle bag. Every "tupperware" bike I've ever owned has gotten the Pledge treatment. Most bugs don't stick at all and I normally only have to use the hot towel on the windshield.

SierraKen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Them "love bugs" from Florida are just awful. They have been know to eat paint off. I tangled with them years ago on a trip down south on my Wing and a fellow rider that lives down there swears by the peroxide solution to clean them off. I have not been back to try and not sure I want to.
    I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my F6B and on my prior GL1800. Works great with no harm to shield nor paint on bike. Use primarily on shield though. Simply dissolves the protein..

shooter
    Spray with glass cleaner , let soak five minutes , wipe the bugs off.